Freeze To Layer, Frost, Freeze Again, How Long On The Counter?

Decorating By luvbn_mrs_coates Updated 14 Jun 2017 , 8:40pm by kakeladi

luvbn_mrs_coates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbn_mrs_coates Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 3

Sorry about the title.  I'm about to attack the biggest cake I've done.  I'm going out of town and have to finish it Thursday or Friday morning for a Saturday morning party.

Today is Wednesday.  I am baking and cooking my cakes.  I then plan to freeze them for a bit so they are easier to layer.  I will then frost with a coconut buttercream (Crisco and sugar and extract) freeze until crust and then wrap in saran wrap.  

On Thursday or Friday morning I am going to drizzle with chocolate Grenache and from that point on the cake needs to remain at room temp.  I will deliver to the home and then Saturday the cake will be delivered to the party.

Will this work?  If I freeze everything will that reduce the amount of time it can be left at room temp?

2 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 3

I really don't think you need to freeze the cake at all.  I would probably just fill and frost the cake and place in the refrigerator until you are ready to pour on the ganache.  Then just let it sit in a cool spot in your home until it is ready for the party.  The only time a cake would absolutely need to be refrigerated is if you are using a perishable filling, which it doesn't sound like you are.  Between the buttercream and ganache, they will seal in the moisture of the cake and keep it from drying out and can be kept at room temp, covered, for up to 3-4 days without issue.  So if you are pouring the ganache on Thursday evening or Friday morning for a Saturday morning party, there shouldn't be any problem leaving it at room temp for approximately 24ish hours.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 3

Most refrigerators can cause a cake to dry out.  In this case, I suggest fz'ing is best.  YOu state you will just fz until the b'cream sets/crusts before wrapping in plastic,  then return it to the fze until you need it .......that's fine.  Letting a cake sit at room temp for 3-4 days is not recommended.  That i s the total amount of time before it starts to  go moldy and/or get very dried out - yes, even iced cakes.   Freezing does NOT reduce the amount of time it can be left at room temp.   It gives you more - sort of.  Just like fz'ing meat give  you more time before you have to use it.   It stops time:) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%