Buttercream Transfer Or Pipe Right On The Cake? Urgent Thanks!

Decorating By ElizabethsCakeCreations Updated 16 Jun 2017 , 1:44pm by cutiger

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 13 Jun 2017 , 6:08am
post #1 of 12

Hey all so I have to make this: I'm debating buttercream transfer or pipe directly on the cake? I don't want to star tip it I would like it smooth. Also couldn't hurt if the red was raised I think that looks so awesome! Thinking of using this technique: http://www.nothingbutcountry.com/2013/06/superman-cake-for-a-superhero-dad-father/

Thoughts? Oh yeah it's massive lol I have to feed 40 people The biggest cake board I could get is 18" square so my cake is 16.5" X 23" ish (remember it's corner to corner on the board which is actually 25". Am I good for servings? I'm good with round but this cut up huge square is messing me up! 

I can do the transfer as big as 15" X 21" and add a border. Help I can't decide! Is the transfer to big? Do I have enough servings? Can you bake for me? (I actually don't like it lol I'm a decorator all the way!)

You guys rock!

Buttercream Transfer Or Pipe Right On The Cake? Urgent Thanks!Buttercream Transfer Or Pipe Right On The Cake? Urgent Thanks!

11 replies
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 13 Jun 2017 , 8:08am
post #2 of 12

I'm dumb lol made a table with 2" X 2" squares and I got 49 servings. Not a bad educated guess! Next size down that would make sense would be 39 and she asked for 40. So 49 it is!

Just need to know buttercream transfer or piping right on the cake?

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 13 Jun 2017 , 11:58am
post #3 of 12

You could print the Superman logo, enlarge it, then use it as a pattern to cut the design out of fondant.  Personally, I think that would be easier than that large a transfer.  If you are not sure of having enough servings, you could always make cupcakes to go with the cake.  Just match your icing to the colors in the cake.  Let us know how it goes!  Good luck! blush

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 13 Jun 2017 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 12

Oh sorry should have mentioned fondant is a no go 

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 13 Jun 2017 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 12

bump?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Jun 2017 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 12

I large transfer is going to be hard to actually transfer onto a cake w/o it cracking :(  I would pipe right on cake.  Using crusting b'cream just pipe some dots or stars - almost filling in the area but it doesn't have to be close like a star fill=in, wait maybe 10 minutes, touch it lightly.  If any icing sticks to your finger, wait another 5-10 minutes, lightly touch again.  When it's dry use the paper towel to smooth out your stars/dots by just lay it on the icing and smooth w/your spatula, hand or fondant smoother w/light pressure. 

nanavymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanavymom Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 1:12am
post #7 of 12

Maybe this would work... Crumb coat the cake and CHILL. Ice the top of the cake with a crusting buttercream, and chill.  Cake would need to be quite firm. Turn the cake onto the frozen buttercream transfer, using a cake board on top of the cake for support, then sliding it out as you place the cake on the pattern. Turn the cake over and remove the cake board that and parchment. Ice the sides. Smooth with viva towel, if needed. Repipe any black lines that may need it. 

Anyway - I think this way you wouldn't break the transfer. 

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 1:58am
post #8 of 12

kakeladi  looks like the cake artist did starts they are just so subtle and perfect. I'm not that kind of piper lol.

No viva in Canada, but I have tons of computer paper! I've done that technique a few times. I'll have to remember to be gentle not to smoosh. Medium/thin consistency I would think right? 

I'm thinking do the black outlining once the red is perfect right?

nanavymom I love that idea but the cake is just too massive I think piping on the cake will be ok and much safer lol

cutiger Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 2:35pm
post #9 of 12

You don't have to cover the cake in fondant, just paint or ice the Superman logo on fondant and then put that on the buttercream cake.  I did see a video yesterday that may help you.  Print out the Superman logo, flip it over so that you are looking at the reverse side, cover with a piece of parchment paper, and then hot glue the design on the parchment paper.  It makes a template that you can use to emboss the design on the buttercream.  That may be the easiest method  and I sure would try it.  I would send you the link but can't remember where I saw it!  It was really easy to do and worked perfectly.  Hope that helps you!

cutiger Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 3:10pm
post #10 of 12

Here is the video for making the impression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTb4PvxoCRg&list=PLZ_bioPrrMRc-P93cRrwW_dUPRWr9Rq0V&index=14

This lady has some amazing tips and tuorials, by the way.

ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 5:52pm
post #11 of 12

thanks cutiger very cool! I think I'll just print it out and cut it up but I could definitely use this another time!

cutiger Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 1:44pm
post #12 of 12

You are welcome!  I loved that idea too and thought of several times I could have used it.  Definitely a "duh, why didn't I think of that" moment! Good luck with your cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%