Never Make A Fondant Cake With Perishable Filling?

Baking By MelMorris Updated 15 Jun 2017 , 2:22pm by Cakemum1

MelMorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelMorris Posted 5 Jun 2017 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 9

I may have broken a rule: Never use perishable filling in a fondant-decorated cake?

Made a cake with banana filling (1 package of instant banana pudding, substituted milk with 2 cups of whipping cream. Tasty. So I filled, crumbed coated (buttercream) and wrapped the cake, put it in the freezer.

TODAY, I realized a cake with this kind of filing probably needs to remain refrigerated until serving!  My plan was to decorate with fondant on Friday night – i.e. after defrosting, I’d decorate leave it on the counter overnight for the Saturday noon party, but is this a no-go with this type of filling? Maybe if I’d added powdered sugar as a preservative, but I don't think there's enough sugar in the pudding mix.

My option is to remake the entire layer using buttercream, but perhaps someone has a creative suggestion?

8 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 9

@MelMorris ‍ , contrary to everything I had previously heard, fondant covered cakes CAN be refrigerated.  I find it makes for much more stable transport, too.  The cake will sweat when taken out of the refrigerator.  Just leave it alone and it will dry out and be fine.  It helps to store the cake in a box inside the refrigerator.  Wrap the whole box in cling wrap to seal.  When removing from the refrigerator, leave sealed in the box and most of the condensate will form on the box instead of the cake.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 9

Absolutely you can refrigerate fondant cakes.  Like Sandra said, just don't touch it while it's condensing.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 9

Pudding - especially made w/heavy cream, does NOT freeze well at all.  It can be kept in the frig.  Box the cake and leave it in the box -don't even open to look at it for at least 1 to 2 hrs at room temp. 

MelMorris Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 9

Many thanks! Sorry I took so long to respond but I was in cake hell for a while (for my 4 year old nephew's b-day). My inexperience was showing - I took your good advice - boxed it each layer with cling wrap, and it worked. Turned out fine - left it alone to sweat. I am glad I now know that you can put fondant cakes in the fridge. Makes life MUCH easier! Never Make A Fondant Cake With Perishable Filling?

SandraSmiley Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 9

Your cake is adorable @MelMorris ‍!  Oh yes, refrigerating fondant covered cakes has been a life saver for me.  It is just too warm and humid (even with freakin' air conditioning set at 70 degrees F.) here for cakes to stay nice and firm without refrigeration for more than a few hours.  

MelMorris Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks (a variation on parts of cakes I saw online). I had my AC cranked to 69 (because I was paranoid while I was working on the different layers when they were out of the fridge. This is only the third cake I've made, so I'm learning as I go. Next lesson to learn: How to successfully roll and apply a sheet of fondant over a 10", 6 inch high layer. I had to roll it three times, and barely made it. Maybe it's just way too big? Can't imagine someone covering a 12" layer...

SandraSmiley Posted 15 Jun 2017 , 3:08am
post #8 of 9

I've covered a 10" x 6" several times, but that is the absolute maximum size for me because I have no where to roll out a larger piece of fondant.

Cakemum1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemum1 Posted 15 Jun 2017 , 2:22pm
post #9 of 9

ondant covered cakes can  be refrigerated :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%