Three Tier Wedding Cake For 150

Baking By bakeitprettygf Updated 4 Jun 2017 , 9:24pm by CLW

bakeitprettygf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeitprettygf Posted 4 Jun 2017 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 11

Hi There!

I've been running my cake company business for a couple of months doing cupcakes and celebration cake orders, and I've just taken my first wedding cake order!

The bride has asked for a three tier cake to serve 150 guests and I was wondering what tier sizes to use? I've had a browse and a 6/10/14 inch option seems popular but wanted to get your thoughts. The bottom tier and top tier will be a normal 2 individual layers of cakes sandwiched together, and the middle one will be 3 layers of cake to make it slightly taller.

Do you think 6/10/14 will be ok?!

Thank you!

10 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Jun 2017 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 11

I looked at several serving charts on line and it appears to me that 14-10-6 is too small to feed 150, even wedding cake servings of 1" x 2" x 4".  If you went with 14-12-10, you would probaby go over a little, but be safe.  

Here is the page showing serving charts:  https://www.google.com/search?q=wedding+cake+serving+size+chart&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS708US708&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi27Kav36TUAhVGeCYKHT4rDQkQsAQIJw&biw=1419&bih=903#imgrc=WQjG65xDr6etBM:

bakeitprettygf Posted 4 Jun 2017 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you. I wondered if a taller cake for the middle tier would increase the servings to still be able to do a 14-10/6 but perhaps not 

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Jun 2017 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 11

According to the chart, a 14" round yields 76 servings, a 10" round, 38 servings so a double barrel would yield 76 (152 servings right there) and the 6" top tier (12 servings) could be your safety net or the couple's 1st anniversary cake.  That should work perfectly.

bakeitprettygf Posted 4 Jun 2017 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 11

Good thinking. So if I did the middle tier as 4 layers of cake and stuck with the 14/10/6 then I should be fine? 

Thank you for your help!

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Jun 2017 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 11

According to the charts, you would be spot on.  A lot probably depends upon who is doing the carving, but that is not your problem.  The wedding cake serving dimensions were for a 4" tall tier.  If your two layers are not quite tall enough to reach 4", you can always torte them, which will add about 1/2".  

You are very welcome!

bakeitprettygf Posted 4 Jun 2017 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 11

I think I'll go with this for now and price up for that and see where I come to.

thank you!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Jun 2017 , 7:38pm
post #8 of 11

Yes, making  a dbk barrel 10"er will tack on an extra 35-38 servings.   Almost as a whole decorators use the Wilton Wedding serving chart - for servings and pricing.  It is considered the "Industry standard".  Google it.   As a business you need to know your #s!  And whenever you make a tier taller than 4" you need to figure how many more servings you are giving them.  Also remember (and a good point to tell brides about)  that most venues use a 5" round plate to serve dessert.  A dbl barrel slice will not fit nicely on such unless you make it so it can be seperated in to two 4" tall servings. 

bakeitprettygf Posted 4 Jun 2017 , 7:41pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you. 

I've been getting confused looking at different guides which all say a slightly different Serving figure, but from what I've read I think the safest option is to go with Wilton as it seems to most recognised. 

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Jun 2017 , 8:08pm
post #10 of 11

LOL - kakeladi, I definitely was thinking using the board in the middle of the double barrel and serving as two cakes!  My last double barrel was 11" tall - something is wrong with me!  Thankfully, I don't do this for a living!

CLW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CLW Posted 4 Jun 2017 , 9:24pm
post #11 of 11

Definitely place a board and separator plate in the double barrel.  Otherwise, It may not be stable enough to stack another tier. Safer and much easier to cut. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%