Buttercream Comb Effect On Fondant? Please, I Need Help!?

Decorating By Kawea Updated 3 Jun 2017 , 9:58pm by kcp2264

Kawea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kawea Posted 31 May 2017 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 7

My client sent me this picture of the cake she wanted for a wedding 2 months ago. Since then she had her venue changed from indoor to outdoor...in june. I dont feel comfortable making a 120pp cake for an outdoor wedding in buttercream so I decided it needed to be in fondant. The thing is...she really like this combed effect. Does anyone know how I can get this effect without pulling out my floral tools and painstakingly doing this line by line? I was looking into the wilton horizontal line maker....but I really want those rounded bulges.

Thanks everyone!Buttercream Comb Effect On Fondant? Please, I Need Help!?

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 May 2017 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 7

I'm a b'cream  gal...I see no reason NOT to make that in b'cream :) 

I think, if you insists in doing it in fondant, I would do something very different than the normal.....I'd make a long piece of fondant and use an impression of some sort and wrap it around each tier.  You can make a circle of fondant for the top and the seam would be hidden by all the baby's breath used as decoration.

The only other thing I can think of is to use pinchers.....those small  metal tools that crimp fondant.  That would take lots of time to go around each tier over and over and over and over.   

Karengtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karengtr Posted 31 May 2017 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 7

Use a vegetable shortening based, crusting buttercream.  It won't melt, it's wedding white and tastes good.

Kawea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kawea Posted 1 Jun 2017 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 7

Ive never used shortening for my icing....crisco just taste nasty to me. Ive read about hi ratio shortening and indydeb's icing recipe and wonder if any of that actually works. If I am going to change the decor to an icing I need something that can take 90 degree heat for 2 to 3 hrs and in NY humidity.  Any suggestions for that?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Jun 2017 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 7

Youknow, everyone's tastes are different.  Sometimes we have to do things we personally don't care for to please a customer.  Here is a great recipe - use less of the Crisco (as the tip at the end of the recipe says) to make it crust and it should hold up just fine.  Using that much flavoring helps improve the taste.         http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing     

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 1 Jun 2017 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 7

If it's going to be 90+ degrees and outside then either she has to take fondant without that particular look, or you can try the stable buttercream and keep it cool/keep it in the shade.

However, if the wedding is in June it may not be that hot at all anyway? it's june now and the highs in NY next week are 60s/70s so a regular buttercream in the shade would probably do ok.

kcp2264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcp2264 Posted 3 Jun 2017 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 7

I bet you could use string to put around the cake and tighten it to get those bulges.  I would say I thick layer of buttercream underneath would help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%