Does Anyone Refuse To Do 3D Figures?

Business By cuky21 Updated 8 Jun 2017 , 7:33am by mkcherry

cuky21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuky21 Posted 23 May 2017 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone, 

I started doing cakes for my nieces and nephews a couple of years ago, and started receiving requests by referal. The thing is, I am thinking about starting my business via Facebook, but I really suck at doing 3D figures, and as a matter of fact, none of the cakes I have done for my family have included 3D figures. I've done cakes with 2D designs on fondant, or buttercream cakes with modern designs.

Is it possible to have a cake business without doing 3D figures? I know most people assume that a cake business has to sell cakes like that for birthdays and all kinds of themes.

The thing is, I would prefer not to make them, but I am afraid people would think less of me or my business if I don't give them that option. At the moment I would be working by myself so hiring someone who can make them is not an option for me.

Thank you

7 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 23 May 2017 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 8

My business is extremely small... extremely small... referral only... 

I do not do figures... I am beyond horrible at them... and when asked, I am honest... 

I explain that they are free to get any figures they want to add and get them to me ahead of time, but I do not offer them... I tell them that I am not good at them and wouldn't want to ruin their cake...

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 24 May 2017 , 2:31am
post #3 of 8

Everybody is good at something. Stick to what you are good at doing. Some people are incredible sculptors, some can make gum paste flowers look so real you think they are and some people can do amazing things with buttercream and royal icing. Also, don't tell them what you can't do, tell them what you can do.

CannonsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CannonsCakes Posted 24 May 2017 , 2:49am
post #4 of 8

I own a rather moderate size bakery doing about 150-200 cakes on an average weekend.  We first started out refusing to not do figurines when fondant really came around.  Since then we have started to offer some of the more basic ones.  What I find is that most people don't want to pay for them to begin with, but once you explain what your actually doing and paying someone 15.00 an hour you have to charge enough to just cover your payroll they understand.  What I always recommend is trying to find some type of toy if we can't accomplish the figure.  If they must have the figure I point them in the direction to Etsy when they don't think the cost is worth it or they really have to have it and they will eventually go with the toy as well.  No one wants to pay more for a figure then they do the cake.  Just start by doing simple ones and see how that goes.  I also don't like to get into detailed figures because I may make 20 bucks on the one figure in the same amount of time I can make 100 in profit doing sheet cakes in the same amount of time.  Best of luck to you!

CakeBlessed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBlessed Posted 24 May 2017 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 8

I agree with "stick to what you're good at." For myself, if someone wants something for a cake that I am not comfortable making, I give them the option to order if off of etsy, or I will order it for them and then add it to the cake. And I'd rather be honest and up-front about it and do that knowing that it will look good than to make something that will look less than great and have my name on it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 May 2017 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 8

I find working w/a book following step-by-step directions helps a lot.   I have used polymar clay, wood, bread dough and other craft books.(Most of them I get from the library, some I bought.)  You don't have to follow each color, and direction EXACTLY but soon you will get the hange of doing them.

cuky21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuky21 Posted 24 May 2017 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you everyone! I feel better now knowing it's not a bad thing to say no to something I can't or don't like doing =)

mkcherry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkcherry Posted 8 Jun 2017 , 7:33am
post #8 of 8

I'd just like to add that just because you aren't good at it now doesn't mean you should just count them out all together. Some of my most detailed (i.e expensive and profitable) cakes I've done have involved fondant figures. i SUCKED at them and didnt offer them when I first started out but craftsy, the library and youtube have gotten me to the point where I have enough skill to do the basics and not take forever so its more profitable. By all means dont offer items that are of low quality but as you start to take more complex / expensive orders sculpting skills will only help you.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%