Building Clientele - Charging Customers

Business By CreativeGirl220 Updated 25 May 2017 , 8:03am by -K8memphis

CreativeGirl220 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeGirl220 Posted 23 May 2017 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 8

I have someone who would like to order a cake that serves 50 people and custom cookies that serves 25 for a baby shower. The going rate around my area is $3.50/slice buttercream and $4.00/slice fondant. She has given me all creative control, I can do what I want. I want to do a 10 inch cake with buttercream rosettes, 8 inch and 6 inch in fondant with a custom fondant crown (she requested that) on top. Based on my calculations the cake would cost $197 and for the custom cookies I'd charge $60, and $10 for the crown that is a total of $267. I am a cake decorator trying to get myself out there, currently working on becoming a legit business. Is $267 too much to charge for someone like me who is trying to build her clientele? or should I charge a lower price ($160 - $200) until I am a legitimate business and then raise my prices? How much should I charge? Thank you in advance for all your suggestions.

7 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 23 May 2017 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 8

How intricate are the cookies? I base my pricing by design. So the more colors and intricate design, the more it's going to cost. As far as price, why would you want to charge less and do more work? Have you worked in an hourly wage? 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 May 2017 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 8

a 10x8x6 serves at least 75 - don't give the store away

ShanagherHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanagherHouse Posted 23 May 2017 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 8

If you start charging low to get customers when you start putting up the price to truly cover your cost and make money your established customers may feel this is unfair and bad business. 

CreativeGirl220 Posted 23 May 2017 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 8

@YPierce The cookies would be the shape of a rattle with purple royal icing, and a bow. I assumed if I charged less it would bring in more customers because I am just starting out, I've never charged a price like that before. I did not work in an hourly wage but I definitely will now.

CreativeGirl220 Posted 23 May 2017 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 8

@ShanagherHouse ‍ I did not think about it like that, you make a good point.

CreativeGirl220 Posted 23 May 2017 , 10:02pm
post #7 of 8

Quote by @-K8memphis on 4 hours ago

a 10x8x6 serves at least 75 - don't give the store away

I thought it served 53, I went off of cake serving guides that I googled. However, I get what you mean and I don't want to give the store away relaxed

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 May 2017 , 8:03am
post #8 of 8

use this 

http://www.wilton.com/wedding-cake-guide/cms-wedding-cake-data.html

yes there are other charts out there -- you can even find images of this wedding cake data chart with  different amounts on it  -- so use the original -- it's the industry standard --

best to you 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%