Help On Charging Tax

Business By Shanelly Updated 19 May 2017 , 3:22pm by Shanelly

Shanelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanelly Posted 17 May 2017 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 8

I'm confused on what I should be charging for taxes on my cakes.  I have read through my states tax site a couple times.  I called and asked if I should charge the full amount or half and they said full. I can also cancel the restaurant tax# I have and just use the sales and use#. Im in Utah, Would I charge the combined sales and use% or the restaurant/  prepared food even though im not a restaurant?

Thank you for any help!  Here is the tax rate for my state.  

7 replies
Shanelly Posted 17 May 2017 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 8

Not sure why my picture didn't post. Here it is. Help On Charging Tax

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 May 2017 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 8

i would suggest that you call your local tax authority to make sure you get this all straight -- don't be afraid to call therm several times -- this is an area where you need to be very sure you have it right -- don't mess with taxes right?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 May 2017 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 8

*them not therm

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 May 2017 , 12:35pm
post #5 of 8

Also, do a search on your sales tax code.  Many states require sales tax on cakes only if they are sold by the slice.  Whole cakes aren't taxed at all.  Just something else to check.

Shanelly Posted 19 May 2017 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you I will call back and ask.  I have tried finding something about whole cake taxing and not having any luck. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.  

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 May 2017 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 8

I did a quick read on your tax code and it looks like cakes are taxed at the grocery rate.  BUT DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT.

Shanelly Posted 19 May 2017 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 8

I'll definitely call back.  That's the way I read it to, so the first time I called I said the grocery rate and he told me no that's only for grocery.  You need to charge the full amount. Ill just ask for the exact amount i need to charge. I wish he would of just told me in the first place.  

Thank you for your help! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%