Where Do You Decorate?

Decorating By rlm0806 Updated 18 May 2017 , 12:44pm by LizinLondon

rlm0806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm0806 Posted 15 May 2017 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 7

I recently moved in with my boyfriend, and it's great! .... but I have a cake show coming up and have no place to do my decorating... his kitchen has ZERO extra space, so I'm looking into getting/making a small craft table, but was wondering on what type of surface other people decorate on? In my old kitchen I had nice marble counters, but it was still a struggle to get the fondant residue off the counter... does anyone have opinions on what table material they like to use? 

6 replies
Minh Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minh Cakes Posted 16 May 2017 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 7

Stainless steel is really the best if you can get a little decorating table? 

As for other decorating work... I dream of getting a Workbox 3.0....!!

https://www.theoriginalscrapbox.com/products/pre-order-the-workbox-3-0

CakeKiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeKiki Posted 16 May 2017 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 7

Maybe get a rolling mat so your fondant isn't directly on the counter or table?  Then it really doesn't matter what surface you are working on.  

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 16 May 2017 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 7

The Mat.  The only issue is cutting on it.   For that you can get a self healing mat.  

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 16 May 2017 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 7

I could not find a suitable table for cake decorating; so my clever husband bought an old Chiswell table that was solid and cheap. He had the top removed, the frame braced for stability, and a new Caesarstone top attached to my dimensions. I love it! I still use a mat for rolling fondant.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 May 2017 , 1:42am
post #6 of 7

I have a large wooden cutting board that I cover with a silicone mat for rolling fondant.  My counter tops are type, so worthless for rolling out anything.  I use a silicone cutting board for gum paste work.

LizinLondon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizinLondon Posted 18 May 2017 , 12:44pm
post #7 of 7

I live in a very small flat and space is a nightmare! I decorate cake on my dining table in the kitchen, with a silcone mat on. I find I have to be very strict with clearing things away otherwise it is chaos. The kitchen table we have folds down into a smaller table, which also helps save space Bjursta extendable table

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%