First Wedding Cake

Decorating By kristiemarie Updated 12 May 2017 , 12:31pm by gourmet_gateaux

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 11 May 2017 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 6

And I am FREAKING OUT.

It's not due for another 45 days so I have some time.

However, when I agreed to do it, I was under the assumption that it was a simple little cake for just the bride and groom to feed to each other.  I was under the MISUNDERSTANDING that there would be another cake.  So, instead of a little 6" cake, I signed up for a 2 tier with scroll piping and sugar flowers. 

I have never done sugar flowers.  I am scared to death.  So please, oh great wise ones of CC, please send me your opinions.  On a scale of 1 being beginner and 5 being expert....

1- How hard is scroll piping?   What do you use?  Frosting?  Royal Icing?  

2- How hard is it to make sugar roses?  What is the best (or easiest, or one of each!) material to use?  Fondant?  Gumpaste? Modeling chocolate?  

3- What is the best frosting to use?  And most forgiving fondant?  I've always used either Satin Ice or Wilton's Preferred but I need to know what the BEST is so I can make the best cake.   I need the fondant that will be the easiest to use and look the best.  

Any suggestions for me?  I'd rather you all tell me this is ridiculous and look like a fool rather than ruin her wedding day.

This is the cake she wants, with only the top two tiers.

First Wedding Cake

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 May 2017 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 6

BUY the roses.  www.avalondeco.com

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 12 May 2017 , 1:33am
post #3 of 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6fIqR-mKNQ&t=150s

Here is a video showing someone piping. If you practice first on wax paper I am sure you will be able to do it. Keep the faith, take a deep breath and try not to worry. You can use buttercream or royal icing for piping. I have seen people do it with both. You can do it!!! I know you can!!!

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 12 May 2017 , 1:44am
post #4 of 6
kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 12 May 2017 , 12:01pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks!  I am excited to do this but terrified as well.  I think I'm more afraid to transport it than I am to make it, if that's possible.  Lol. I have to travel an hour.  

gourmet_gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmet_gateaux Posted 12 May 2017 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 6

Hey!

I sell Sugar flowers including roses if you want to have a look at how mine are? I have some images on here in my photos section.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%