Maine Cottage Law

Business By Njewett Updated 9 May 2017 , 2:56pm by MimiFix

Njewett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Njewett Posted 8 May 2017 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 6

I have been researching Maine cottage law for baking in home kitchen.  I found the following information about baking with pets. Can anyone tell me if this is true?

Maine Cottage Law

5 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 8 May 2017 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 6

Yes. I don't live in Maine, but have the same stipulation when baking under the cottage law. 

Njewett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Njewett Posted 8 May 2017 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you. So I can be licensed as home Baker even if I have a cat. As long the cat is kept out of the kitchen while baking. 

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 8 May 2017 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 6

You're welcome. I haven't read through the whole thing, so I'm not sure. I don't believe you can have pets if you're licensed, so you may want to call and get clarification on that. 

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 9 May 2017 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 6

Every state is different and so is each county.  For me, there has to be a door separating the pets from the kitchen and the pets cannot be allowed to enter the kitchen, ever, so it cannot be a path or area that the pet travels - completely separate.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 9 May 2017 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 6

Maine's cottage food law is through their Department of Agriculture and Markets. You need to contact them. Their rule states: No animals or birds or uncontrolled children shall be allowed in the food preparation area. But this is open to interpretation.

Also, the cooperative extension has some good info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%