Sps And Stacking With Styrofoam/gumpaste Roses Between Tiers

Decorating By Beverly Edwards Updated 18 May 2017 , 4:30pm by Beverly Edwards

Beverly Edwards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beverly Edwards Posted 8 May 2017 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 10

I need advice on how to use SPS for my cake.  It will be 5", 3" dummy, 8", 6" dummy, 11".  The tiers will be 4", dummies 3" high. Gumpaste Roses will be attached to the styrofoam cake dummies.  I will need to do at least partial assembly  at site.  TIA.

9 replies
Beverly Edwards Posted 8 May 2017 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 10

Forgot to add that I plan on putting the cake tiers on 1" larger foamcore and setting these on the cake dummies.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 May 2017 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 10

Push the plate and leg assembly into the bottom most cake tier.  Smear some buttercream/royal/melted chocolate onto the SPS plate and place the dummy tier.  

Mark the next-up cake tier for insertion of the plate and leg assembly, but do not insert it yet.  Place the cake tier on top of the dummy.  Drive a skewer through the cake tier into the dummy tier.  Insert the SPS plate and leg assembly.  

continue.

Beverly Edwards Posted 9 May 2017 , 12:08am
post #4 of 10

Thanks, I was hoping that you would help me!  I have been so stressed for a week.  I have questions.  I apologize for having so many.  I have to travel on curvy roads and several miles down a graveled levee for about one hour travel time.  1) Do I need to attach a cardboard with hole on the bottom of  styrofoam to attach onto the plate on bottom tier? 2) press the columns and plate into the cake after it is on the dummy and bottom tier? My bottom tier will be pineapple with a soft filling and frosted with crusting cream cheese buttercream 3) I don't think that I can pack it all stacked so would I attach the top styrofoam and top tierw/topper onto the stacked cake and skewer those two together at site?  4) skewer with bamboo skewers? 5) do I use a foamcore board that is 1" larger under each cake tier that is sitting on dummy?  6) what size SPS plates do I use, the same size as the dummy above or the next cake tier above?  Was also wondering if I stacked on site if I could go up a size on the cake tiers and then I could use SPS and maybe attach the dummies like they were cake and just stack without skewers.  Whew so sorry!  Really appreciate your help!!!

Beverly Edwards Posted 16 May 2017 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 10

I was wondering if I can go ahead and insert the SPS plate and leg assembly into the cake and insert a skewer into the styrofoam dummy (through center) that will be under the cake and leave maybe 2-2 1/2" sticking up out of the top of the dummy, transport and when assembling just set the cake down onto the skewer.  Would this work? Thanks

Beverly Edwards Posted 17 May 2017 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 10

Anyone? Thanks

leah_s Posted 18 May 2017 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 10

Haven't tried it.

Beverly Edwards Posted 18 May 2017 , 1:55pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks...I am worried about inserting the plate/column assembly after it is on top of the styrofoam and bottom cake.  I am afraid the pressure may cause the bottom tier some damage.  

leah_s Posted 18 May 2017 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 10

If the SPS legs are sitting on the bottom board as they should be, there will be no pressure on the cake itself.

You can always insert the plate and leg assembly half way, then pull it out for transport.

Your way may work fine;  I just haven't done it.

Beverly Edwards Posted 18 May 2017 , 4:30pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks!  That makes feel a lot better. This will be my first time to use the smaller styrofoam dummies under a cake and I am just nervous.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%