Best Way To Store Cakes

Baking By pamcakesandcompany Updated 12 May 2017 , 5:08pm by johnson6ofus

pamcakesandcompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamcakesandcompany Posted 8 May 2017 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 9

HI

I am looking for some knowledge on how to store cakes after they are made.

Do all cakes go in refrigerator?

do fondant cakes get refrigerated?

I know buttercream cakes do not sure about fondant. How long can a fondant cake stay in refrigerator if that is where to store

or do you keep at room temp until using?

Please advise 

Thanks Pam

8 replies
rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 8 May 2017 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 9

Everyone has their own opinion about refrigerating cakes. I personally refrigerate everything, with the exception of some ganache cakes, depending on filling.

But, I work in a very busy restaurant, and there isn't a safe place to leave a cake otherwise, especially a tiered cake. And if I have a cake outside of work, it's still refrigerated to be more stable to get to the destination.  

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 8 May 2017 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 9

I refrigerate all my cakes...I work primarily in buttercream and use fondant for accents only.

You can refrigerate a fondant covered cake...the biggest issue you might encounter will be when it comes out of the cooler condensation may form on the fondant.  One way to help prevent this to a degree is to store cakes boxes in the cooler and then allow them to warm to room temp before opening the box.

If I am using GP flowers, I add them when the cake is ready to leave for delivery and, sometime, on site depending on the number and kind of flowers used.

pamcakesandcompany Posted 8 May 2017 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you for your replies and advise.

I was worried about the condensation on fondants.

Is it best to fondant or buttercream the night before so cake can set?

Best,

Pam

Jeff_Arnett Posted 8 May 2017 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 9

If I were going to cover a cake with fondant, I would certainly chill it well first so that it doesn't distort as you work with smoothing out your fondant.

pamcakesandcompany Posted 8 May 2017 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 9

Yes, for sure.

It is about the storage that I was trying to get helpful hints on.

Best,

Pam

Jeff_Arnett Posted 8 May 2017 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 9

I don't often cover an entire cake with fondant, but on the occasion that I do,  I fill and ice in buttercream.  Chill well...often overnight...then cover with fondant and decorate.  I then box the cake in a heavy cardboard box and return to the cooler until delivery time.  I leave the instructions to let the cake sit in the box at least two hours before opening to slowly come to room temperature...this helps to prevent/reduce condensation.  The problem with condensation varies depending on the season...bigger issue in warm summer months than winter.

pamcakesandcompany Posted 8 May 2017 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 9

Jeff 

Great Advise. Thank You so much.

Best,

Pam

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 12 May 2017 , 5:08pm
post #9 of 9

STORE versus SERVE.

I store in the frig and serve at room temperature. Just because you store it in the frig doesn't mean you can't take it out and serve at room temperature (or close).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%