How Many Cupcakes Per Person

Business By smile22 Updated 8 May 2017 , 2:34am by johnson6ofus

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 7 May 2017 , 2:10am
post #1 of 6

My cousin is getting married in sept and asked me to do her cupcakes, there will Ben no cake but she is getting pies in addition to the cupcakes it's going to Be a rustic outdoor wedding BBQ and music. 

All the large events I ever did were cake pop favors but this is actual cupcakes that will be eaten there. She is expecting 80-88 people and very little if any declines. 

How many cupcakes would you make and how many flavors would you do 

I was thinking 3 flavors to keep it simple and then spit the number in even amounts.

i don't want to make to much where there are tons of leftovers but the last wedding I attended there were cupcakes and I tried at least two flavors 

5 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 7 May 2017 , 4:39am
post #2 of 6

Multiple flavors means multiple samples...IMHO. If I was doing it, I would do minis and just plan on 60 of each flavor. Some will only take one, some will take two and many will take all three.

johnson6ofus Posted 7 May 2017 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 6

Oh, and another way to control it is to have ONE set of tongs and one "server" who portions it out.

Guest: "I'd like one of each."

Server: "I'm sorry but I was instructed to only serve two per person until we are sure everyone got a serving. We will be offering 'seconds' soon!"

After the line goes through, you can announce, "There's still plenty of cupcakes left if anyone wants seconds...."

This method will work with either full sized cupcakes (one per person) or minis (two or three per person).

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 7 May 2017 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 6

I totally agree with @johnson6ofus ‍, make minis or small cupcakes. People often want to try multiple flavors, but will only take a small bite of each.   

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 8 May 2017 , 2:15am
post #5 of 6

She specifically asked for regular size cupcakes. Two cupcakes per person would mean 160 cupcakes but I am thinking that might be to much 

johnson6ofus Posted 8 May 2017 , 2:34am
post #6 of 6

I just reread the post and saw PIES were coming too!

If I did "standard" flavors, then equal amounts of each are OK (like vanilla, chocolate and marble). When you introduce "custom" flavors, it tends to be a big hit, or a big bust. (key lime, blueberry lemon, bananas foster...you get the idea). Not all groups are "food adventurous".  Then, I might be more reserved and do 80% standards flavors and 20% "custom".

With pies added, 80-90 total would be it! Even with flavor choices. It is called a "choice", not "one of each". Will you run out of one flavor first? Yup! That's OK. No one walks away empty handed. Having 3 choices and running out of one is still better than only one choice to begin with. Yes, the last people in line, or served, will have less choices. It happens.

BUT, I would still station a "server" to dole our one cupcake per person to make sure everyone had the opportunity to get at least one. Most weddings are a 'couples' thing, so if hubby and I both wanna try both, we get one of each and share. Run out? Too bad--- you got dessert....it is not an all you can eat buffet, ya know?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%