Mermaid Bakery Vanilla Cake Help

Baking By lnazaret Updated 9 May 2017 , 3:11am by msbelle21

lnazaret Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lnazaret Posted 6 May 2017 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 4

Hey everyone. I made a tiered cake last week, and I used the mermaid bakery vanilla cake. It was extremely tasty and delicious, but it wasn't as moist as I hoped it would be. Did I overbake? It looked great from the outside. Should I use a  simple syrup on top of each layer before stacking? I baked them, let them cool, then wrapped them in wrap and froze for 3 days. 

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 May 2017 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 4

Without knowing much more details it's very hard to say. What temp did you bake them at?  How long?  What size layers?  Is the recipe scratch or box mix doctored?   It could well be they were overbaked.  The right recipe should not need simple syrup but that could have helped. 

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 7 May 2017 , 11:44am
post #3 of 4

My choc cake doesn't need syrup and neither does my vanilla one really but it does bake a teensy bit drier than my choc so I do use syrup on the vanilla one. I also wrap my cakes while they're still warm which helps trap the moisture.

msbelle21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msbelle21 Posted 9 May 2017 , 3:11am
post #4 of 4

Did you use the updated recipe that calls for vanilla pudding and more buttermilk? A lot of the comments before the update complained of the cake being dry. I've made the updated version several times and it's pretty scrumptious

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%