Freezing All-Butter Buttercream

Decorating By SugarBuzzCC Updated 5 May 2017 , 7:43pm by ZeKe221

SugarBuzzCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBuzzCC Posted 2 May 2017 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all!  It's been a long, long time since I've been on the site.  It's good to be back!

I've got a question concerning freezing all-butter buttercream.  I've baked and sold cakes from my home kitchen for over three years and I've never, EVER frozen my buttercream.  In the last four days, I've received orders for 50 cupcake bouquets for Mother's Day, and it would help me a ton if I could make and color my frosting this week instead of next.

My recipe consists of salted butter, confectioner's sugar, heavy cream, and flavoring.

First, is making ahead and freezing all-butter buttercream even a good idea?  I have to know for sure that this will work, because I'll be making nearly 50 pounds of buttercream, and will not have the time or the money to re-do it if there's even a chance that it's not going to work and work well.

If it is a good idea, what's the best method for freezing and defrosting?    I'm really worried that the texture will change after thawing.  I GREATLY appreciate the advice!

Thanks!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 May 2017 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, it can be frozen.  Yes, it can be colored ahead, then frozen:)  As to best method, color then place each color in seperate plastic containers (like Tubberwear).  If necessary you even could use zipper lock type plastic baggies for that short of fz'ing time.    The texture should not be effected by the freezing.  Just give it a nice stir before trying to use.

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 3 May 2017 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 5

I use "bullets" in my piping bag, so I will freeze buttercream in a "bullet" and then move them to a ziploc bag once frozen.  I thaw overnight in the fridge, bring to room temp and then use.  I do not notice any difference after freezing them.  This would not work for any of the meringue buttercreams, but works great for American Buttercream.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 5 May 2017 , 3:32am
post #4 of 5

I freeze my SMBC as I just make it in a huge batch, use what I need and freeze the rest. I pop it in the fridge to thaw, then just whip it and whip it and whip it. It goes all cottage cheesey texture and horrid to begin with but keep whipping and it gets back to being that lovely satiny texture again.

ZeKe221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZeKe221 Posted 5 May 2017 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 5

yeah its fine i usally freeze any left over BC coloured or uncoloured just give it another mix once its defrosted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%