Cookie Business - Scaling Down Or Up - Recipes

Business By Julie_S Updated 17 Apr 2017 , 3:06pm by Julie_S

Julie_S Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie_S Posted 17 Apr 2017 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 2

Hi,

I'm posting this now from a desktop and not a smart phone. Hopefully it will post. Sorry for all the posts.

I have developed a really good cookie recipe and want to sell these cookies. One of the considerations is how many to sell in one batch. I see some online cookie sellers selling in batches of 12, another sells 17. Pepperidge Farm bags of cookies contain 8 cookies.
My recipe is a very modified version of a common base recipe and currently produces the cookies exactly the way I want them, but yields 18. Should I sell these in quantities of 18 and not mess with scaling down the recipe, or should I scale it down so it makes 12? I have read up on why 12 is so common for bakery items and it seems as though 12 is best number because it can be divided by the most numbers as opposed to 10 or 15 etc. (I have guidelines on how to scale recipes but honestly im not looking forward to possibly messing up a good recipe)
Another question: I have other cookie recipes that i want to include in my offerings for sale. Should I be consistent and scale those down to sell in quantities of 12 so that every variety i sell comes in packs of 12? Or is it ok to have the choc. chip come in 12, but the raisin come 22 to a pack?
Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Julie S

1 reply
Julie_S Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie_S Posted 17 Apr 2017 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 2

also, please let me add that  I don't have a storefront bakery where I would be making a large volume and then sell as people come in the door, or sell to wholesale accounts. My system would be to sell to locals who know me, per order, and from a website where I do see people selling 12 and 18 at a time, so I know this can be done.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%