Cookie Business: To Scale Down Recipes To A Dozen Or Not?

Business By Julie_S Updated 19 Apr 2017 , 11:44pm by ypierce82

Julie_S Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie_S Posted 16 Apr 2017 , 2:21am
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone

7 replies
Julie_S Posted 16 Apr 2017 , 2:22am
post #2 of 8

It did it again.

Julie_S Posted 16 Apr 2017 , 2:22am
post #3 of 8

Hi everyone

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 16 Apr 2017 , 2:24am
post #4 of 8

I wonder why it keeps doing that to you! I don't personally scale my recipe down, my customers order in quantities over 12. This last time that I did cookies, it was for my kids to decorate, and I had leftover dough. I just wrap it well, place in a Tupperware container and freeze it until I need it again.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 16 Apr 2017 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 8

My cut out sugar cookie recipe is easily cut down to either 1/2 or 1/4 recipes, I've done it many times.  This is not something that would ever make sense for a money making business however.  You still have to spend the same amount of time, use the same amount of dirty dishes & baking pans etc.

It's something that let's me try out new decorating techniques and tools as a hobby baker.  Modifying recipes is easy when you weigh your ingredients.  For partial eggs, just stir up in a cup and use half. Works a treat.

Julie_S Posted 19 Apr 2017 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 8

Hi MBalaska,

I see people selling cookies and other items online where they sell in quantities of 12 and sell to order.  Why would they do that? You could make a profit, but it would be small.  These are a one-man operation and not a big bakery.

Julie.

Quote by @MBalaska on 2 days ago

My cut out sugar cookie recipe is easily cut down to either 1/2 or 1/4 recipes, I've done it many times.  This is not something that would ever make sense for a money making business however.  You still have to spend the same amount of time, use the same amount of dirty dishes & baking pans etc.

It's something that let's me try out new decorating techniques and tools as a hobby baker.  Modifying recipes is easy when you weigh your ingredients.  For partial eggs, just stir up in a cup and use half. Works a treat.

Julie_S Posted 19 Apr 2017 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 8

Hi ypierce82,

What quantities do your customers order? 60? 50? 24?

Are they regular people, or are they retail stores?

Thanks,

Julie

Quote by @ypierce82 on 3 days ago

I wonder why it keeps doing that to you! I don't personally scale my recipe down, my customers order in quantities over 12. This last time that I did cookies, it was for my kids to decorate, and I had leftover dough. I just wrap it well, place in a Tupperware container and freeze it until I need it again.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 19 Apr 2017 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 8

I'm a one women show, and my customers are regular people. They are usually ordering cookies for a party. The smallest order was 48. When I do decorated cookies, I have a minimum order of 12 or 24 for minis. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%