How To Stop Rice Crispy Treats Going Soft

Decorating By ozcake Updated 15 Apr 2017 , 3:27pm by SandraSmiley

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 14 Apr 2017 , 4:19am
post #1 of 4

Hi, 

I know a lot of decorators use rice crispy treats but when I have tried them I have found that they tend to go soft inside the fondant which is not very appetizing and to me the whole point of using them is to keep things edible. I was wondering if anyone would please be willing to share whether they have experienced this and/or if they have any tips of tricks to avoid it? 

thanks

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2017 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 4

no mine don't go soft -- but i used candy clay to cover then fondant -- and i don't really know why i did that -- maybe it was just a gut reaction and i avoided your problem? i always kinda wondered why i did that -- i made a sports car -- and i was working on it over a period of time so i was geared for lengthening the viability of the products -- but i think i did it ultimately to ensure the smoothness factor -- 

and otherwise i used either more candy clay or chocolate -- other than that i just use them uncovered -- but hey i did cover some once with just fondant -- it was for a project with other decorators and i guess it went ok -- it was all collected up by someone else --

are you making your rkt or buying them already made?

TheCakeDude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeDude Posted 14 Apr 2017 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 4

I typically coat my RKT sculpts in either melted chocolate chips (for when stiffness is required) or chocolate ganache before fondanting or candy clay-ing :) . I've never had any go mushy on the inside, even when used as a shelf piece and kept for years.

Perhaps the fondant alone doesnt seal it in very well causing air to get in there. I know when I leave a piece on the table uncovered it will get sticky and soft. Maybe there is a connection there?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 Apr 2017 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 4

Like TheCakeDude, I generally seal my RKT's with melted chocolate prior to adding the modeling chocolate or fondant and I've never had a problem with it becoming soft.  I, too, have kept pieces for years without a problem.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%