Help With Quoting Sculpted Cake

Business By jfraelich Updated 13 Apr 2017 , 7:43pm by kakeladi

jfraelich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jfraelich Posted 13 Apr 2017 , 2:31am
post #1 of 5

Hello fellow cakers!

I have a customer who wants a quote for each of the cakes pictured. I have a base price of $5 per serving for sculpted cakes, but I've never talked something quite like these and am unsure what a fair price would be. I know these will take a TON of time to decorate so I want to make sure my hard work is factored into the quote.

The cake only needs to feed 12... 

Can anyone weigh in and help with how to charge for these?

Thank you SO MUCH in advance!!Help With Quoting Sculpted CakeHelp With Quoting Sculpted Cake 

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Apr 2017 , 12:18pm
post #2 of 5

$350 - $450 and $650 - $750 plus the cost of all the little cars -- if those are to be made as well -- probably $35 - $50 a pop --

and in regard to the 12 servings -- i would just make the cake to scale so it looks good and would be easiest for me to build -- making either of them to actually just feed 12 would make it all the more difficult so i would disregard the twelve serving point myself --

i always said that there are two ways to order a cake, by silhouette or by servings -- sometimes it can be one and the same but usually it is one or the other -- these of course are silhouette

also -- when people want elaborate sculptures "to feed 12" they are not serious clients -- this is why people take up cake deco so they can get a super cake without laying out the cash --

i figure that second cake is about a 7 tier cake with over 30 logos and additional pieces not counting the cars -- silly amount of work for 12 people -- this is a cake for a big blow out party -- the truck is 3 sculptures not counting the seven vehicles in the parking lot

jfraelich Posted 13 Apr 2017 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much for your input @-K8memphis ‍!!  (I feel like you're always one of the people on the forum who responds to my questions, and I REALLY appreciate your feedback!!)

Those are close to the numbers that I came up with also (although my prices were a little less because I have a problem with selling my service is short, but that's for another post

jfraelich Posted 13 Apr 2017 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 5

@-K8memphis Thank you for validating that I'm not completely off-base with my pricing. And you're right! That is a ton of work for such a small cake!

Thanks again!

Jessica

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2017 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 5

There is no way one could make either of those for just 12 servings and have them look good! :(  And yes, I agree w/you & K8 ......those are good ballpark figures to work with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%