Edible Printer >>> Up To Date 2017 Info?

Decorating By sweetgarden Updated 19 Jun 2017 , 4:35pm by icingimages

sweetgarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetgarden Posted 10 Apr 2017 , 6:33am
post #1 of 14

My Canon MG just died.  It was a terrible printer, but it got the job done.

There is basically no current and up to date information online.

Can anyone recommend any printers current to 2017?

Any top loaders?
Anything not an 'all in one'?

I would like some thoughts and insight before I just buy whatever Canon replacement sucks as much as my current one.

13 replies
SayItWithFrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SayItWithFrosting Posted 16 Apr 2017 , 12:31pm
post #2 of 14

I can't answer as to what the current best on the market is, but I can tell you that I don't recommend the Canon 6820 wide format.  I bought this one because I wanted the rear feed, which none of the other models have, and because I liked the idea of being able to print wide format images.  I have had nothing but problems since I have had it.  The print quality is terrible and it constantly misfeeds.  When I first got it, it mis-fed an edible image sheet of small circles, and left small pieces of the image sheet in the paper feed that kept coming out with new prints for weeks.  There is no way to open up the back of the printer to clear misfeeds, so you can only pull from the front and hope you get all the pieces.  I have had it since January, and just a couple days ago it mis-fed again and now has an error light that won't clear, even after the unit has been un-plugged and disconnected from the computer.  There is no paper stuck in it, and paper feeds through when you power it down and back on again, but the error won't clear.  It is basically un-usable at this point.  As for the print quality, although when you print a test page there are no lines indicating that it needs a nozzle cleaning, the print color is very light, and when you are trying to color match, the colors are nowhere near to the color of your original images.  I have tried both the Kopycake ink and the Icing Images ink, and I don't think the ink is the problem- it is the printer not feeding enough ink.  I used to have the Canon IP3600 and never had a single problem with it for 4 years, so I am very disappointed in this Canon.  

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 3 May 2017 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 14

Good news!  Canon just came out with a new series, the TS series which I have been testing for over a month.  It is compact, it is a rear feed printer and it seems to be doing the job.  It requires different settings then the standard printer, but all that is available for our customers as we have already figured all that out for you!  It is not a wide format though.  Sayitwithfrosting, contact Canon they should replace it. It sounds like you have a bad printer and your settings may be off as well. 

I also Like the TS for printing on the circles as well since it is a rear fed and it does open up nicely for maintenance. 

I hope this helps.

Sunflower1010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflower1010 Posted 5 Jun 2017 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 14

icingimages - What is the exact name of this TS printer please? I have a MG5520 and it frustrated me so much as everytime I wanted to print it said clean heads which took up A LOT of ink! and how do you take better care of your edible printer so that this doesnt happen all the time?

icingimages Posted 5 Jun 2017 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 14

The Canon ts5020. Understand that most people's frustrations with printer is due to bad ink not necessarily the printer itself. Remember too that edible printers must be used regularly as well. Let me know if I can be of further assistance!

Sunflower1010 Posted 5 Jun 2017 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 14

icingimages - I would love all the input I can get - yes I udnerstand about bad quality- I only purchased the real deal and still had problems- must admit I didnt print regularly - how regular should it be run?

Sunflower1010 Posted 5 Jun 2017 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 14

and I took a look on amazon - they have TS5020 and 6020 - guess 6020 is just the upgrade or do you prefer 5020

icingimages Posted 5 Jun 2017 , 7:43pm
post #8 of 14

I have not used the 6020 but as long as it does not use a grey it will work

icingimages Posted 5 Jun 2017 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 14

I have not used the 6020 but as long as it does not use a grey it will work

Jeshbabs_39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeshbabs_39 Posted 17 Jun 2017 , 10:08pm
post #10 of 14

hi, do you have the link for the new ts printer ?

Shanelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanelly Posted 19 Jun 2017 , 2:11pm
post #11 of 14

I bought a cannon printer for just normal use and it has had tons of issues from day one.  I didn't set it up until a couple months later or I would of taken it  back. It definitely makes me not want to buy a cannon.  

I really want to do edible image's though. I would love to hear your experiences if you guys get one. 

icingimages Posted 19 Jun 2017 , 3:46pm
post #12 of 14

Hi,

Here is the link to the one on our site http://www.icingimages.com/edible-ink-printers

We have worked with only Canon products for 18 years because they are the best for edible printing.  Shanelly you have a one year warranty with Canon, call them and they will back it up.  Sometimes with any product you get an odd problem, but it doesn't mean that everyone is bad.  Is it perfect, no, but when it comes to edible printing, it is the best option and the ink will make or break you.  You have to print regularly with edible printing each manufacturer of ink has a different recommendation for us, you are fine if you print once every week to two weeks.  If you don't count on problems.  It is best that you just print on regular paper if you need to to keep the ink flowing.

Jeshbabs_39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeshbabs_39 Posted 19 Jun 2017 , 4:04pm
post #13 of 14

Hi icingimages, is the  TS5020 / 6020  Available in UK ?

icingimages Posted 19 Jun 2017 , 4:35pm
post #14 of 14

I am sorry, we do not sell the UK version of them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%