Urgent Help, Cake Leaking!

Decorating By samho21 Updated 10 Apr 2017 , 12:19am by GI

samho21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samho21 Posted 8 Apr 2017 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 9

I have a cake due tomorrow, strawberry cake with cheesecake in between the layers (5 layers in total). I spooned on some strawberry simple syrup before putting on the smbc, it's been fully decorated now but I noticed today that there's a clear liquid coming out from the bottom of the cake... any idea what it could be, and more importantly, how do I fix it?!?!? I've dabbed it away with a paper towel and put it back into the fridge but every time I check, there's more coming out... I've just spent hours decorating and hand painting it

8 replies
savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 8 Apr 2017 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 9

is there buttercream on there that could be separating?  If you search cake leaking there's a lot of posts in the forum, maybe some offer a solution

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Apr 2017 , 3:22am
post #3 of 9

i would venture it's the "spooned on simple syrup" -- the cheesecake sections would not absorb any of that so it's gonna run off wherever it can -- i use either a squirt bottle or a brush to apply -- the spoon  mighta been too much

and i'm just tossing out possibilities here -- i'm not saying your cheesecake is under baked -- i'm saying if it was under baked that could separate and leak too --

and yes smbc can separate sometimes like savannaquinn said --

just keep dabbing it off-- you might want to let it sit on an angle to hasten it's exit -- so that any more liquid runs off faster -- hopefully it will stop -- 

samho21 Posted 9 Apr 2017 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for your comments... just a follow up, I absorbed the liquid with a paper towel, added a buttercream border and hoped for the best. Turned out great, it was fine at room temp for a few hours, there was no further leakage, cake was moist, everyone loved it... all worried for nothing ;) but thanks anyway

samho21 Posted 9 Apr 2017 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 9

Urgent Help, Cake Leaking!

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 9 Apr 2017 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 9

It looks Great!

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 9 Apr 2017 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 9

Wow! Great job! I love it!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Apr 2017 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 9

wow great save -- wonderful work!!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 10 Apr 2017 , 12:19am
post #9 of 9

Quote by @samho21 on 7 hours ago

Thanks for your comments... just a follow up, I absorbed the liquid with a paper towel, added a buttercream border and hoped for the best. Turned out great, it was fine at room temp for a few hours, there was no further leakage, cake was moist, everyone loved it... all worried for nothing ;) but thanks anyway

Sure appreciate the followup!  I was watching your thread closely. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%