Buttercream Watercolor Technique

Decorating By scout106 Updated 4 Apr 2017 , 11:51am by scout106

scout106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scout106 Posted 3 Apr 2017 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 6

I need to do a Lilly Pulitzer inspired cake.  I am going to do the buttercream watercolor technique.  The dominant color is turquoise with some pink and white.  Should I start out with a white frosted cake and add turquoise and pink or should i start with a turquoise frosted cake and add white and pink?  I have never done this technique and do not really know how the colors will blend.

5 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 3 Apr 2017 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 6

I'd start with a white cake - you can always add more colour where you want it but it's a lot harder to take it away by trying to add more white. But that's just me. I guess it depends on how deep you want the end colours to be.  :)

scout106 Posted 4 Apr 2017 , 3:07am
post #3 of 6

Thanks so much, I don't know if I made myself completely clear....when I said watercolor technique I am talking about adding more frosting color and smoothing that into the cake not actually painting on the cake.  Would your answer still be the same?  Thanks again sooooo much!

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 4 Apr 2017 , 3:52am
post #4 of 6

I've done this technique for my own cake and started with a white cake, then dabbed on teal, pink, and purple randomly, then smoothed it out. I added more teal and purple where I needed it, and some of the white still came through. I loved it when it was done. Simple, yet effective lol

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 4 Apr 2017 , 5:11am
post #5 of 6

Yep, same answer - white cake   blush

You made yourself clear, don't worry   blush

I start with a white cake that I've frosted and made pretty much smooth, not perfectly smooth, but heading that way. Then I add my colour(s) in little dabs and smooth that in and then just keep repeating that process until I'm happy with how it's looking.

Might be nice to start off with a very very pale shade of turquoise and then add a darker shade as well as pink and white. That would look very pretty too.

I'd probably then add some gold or silver too for a bit of glitz  blush

scout106 Posted 4 Apr 2017 , 11:51am
post #6 of 6

Thank you to everyone, so helpful!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%