Butter/oil Interchangeable?

Baking By naetoile Updated 4 Apr 2017 , 4:30am by vlasko

naetoile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naetoile Posted 3 Apr 2017 , 2:36am
post #1 of 11

I've tried searching the forms but couldn't really find "the" answer so I'm asking....

Can I replace the butter in a recipe for oil?

I keep seeing how oil yields a moister, fluffy cake and don't want to get new recipes. 

Would the two to interchangeable?

is it true that an oil cake is more moist than a butter cake?

10 replies
ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 3 Apr 2017 , 3:02am
post #2 of 11

Butter in place of oil will make a crumbly mess in some recipes. Not sure about oil in place of butter probably a better result.

naetoile Posted 3 Apr 2017 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 11

Anyone have any experience in replacing the butter in a recipe for oil?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 4 Apr 2017 , 3:06am
post #4 of 11

Yup, do it all the time. The batter will be thinner, the final product softer. Try it first on a small batch to see how you like it.

naetoile Posted 4 Apr 2017 , 3:10am
post #5 of 11

Can you tell me how you go about making cakes with oil if you're not creaming the sugar and butter?

Quote by @MimiFix on 2 minutes ago

Yup, do it all the time. The batter will be thinner, the final product softer. Try it first on a small batch to see how you like it.

MimiFix Posted 4 Apr 2017 , 3:26am
post #6 of 11

No creaming necessary. Combine oil, sugar, eggs, extract. Add dry and liquid ingredients, beat until thoroughly mixed.

MimiFix Posted 4 Apr 2017 , 3:31am
post #7 of 11

Yellow Cake & Cupcakes

•3 large eggs

•1 cup oil

•2 cups sugar

•2 teaspoons vanilla extract

•1¼ cups buttermilk cup 

•3 cups flour

•1 teaspoon baking powder

•½ teaspoon baking soda

•1 teaspoon salt

1.Preheat oven to 350° F and grease pans.

2.In a large bowl, beat the eggs, oil, sugar, extract, and buttermilk.

3.In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and mix well.

4.Pour into a greased bundt pan, or 2 medium loaf pans, or 18-24 cupcakes, or 9x13 pan and bake for 40-60 minutes, depending upon pan size. The cake is ready when it pulls away from the sides of the pan and top is a medium golden brown.

5.Cool at least 10 minutes before removing from pan. If using parchment or cupcake liners, let cool in pan. Frost with your favorite icing.

naetoile Posted 4 Apr 2017 , 3:37am
post #8 of 11

Thanks! And for the recipe as well!

Quote by @MimiFix on 9 minutes ago

No creaming necessary. Combine oil, sugar, eggs, extract. Add dry and liquid ingredients, beat until thoroughly mixed.

Paola__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paola__ Posted 4 Apr 2017 , 3:54am
post #9 of 11

I have a buttercake recipe that contains a high amount of egg yolks(10) and butter(idk how much right now). It is a rich and heavy cake, the recipe was based on a pound cake, so would changing the oil for butter be a terrible idea? Thanks!

vlasko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlasko Posted 4 Apr 2017 , 4:28am
post #10 of 11

European butter is better for replacing oil than regular butter. 

Unsalted browned butter is even better, assuming the taste is appropriate.  You would want to measure the butter after browning.  The browning process removes most of the moisture in the butter, making it closer to oil.  

vlasko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlasko Posted 4 Apr 2017 , 4:30am
post #11 of 11

I guess I got it backwards.  The question was about using oil in place of butter, not butter in place of oil

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%