Help - I Ran Out Of Disco Dust!

Decorating By Vanaya Updated 31 Mar 2017 , 3:55am by Vanaya

Vanaya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanaya Posted 30 Mar 2017 , 2:39am
post #1 of 4

Hey everyone!

I have doubles and triples of every dust you can imagine but apparently Im out of disco dust!

(I am using the disco dust on a decoration that will be removed from the cake and NOT eaten. )

Does anyone know what I can do or use to make something similar? 

Thank in advance!

xo

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Mar 2017 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 4

Craft glitter - extra fine.  It's the same thing! :(confounded

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 30 Mar 2017 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 4

Yep, if you're sure that it has no chance of being consumed, craft glitter is the same as disco dust and a whole lot cheaper. 

Both are sharp shapes made of plastic/pvc/mylar, often with a thin coating of metal to increase shine.

The idea that disco dust is somehow a specialized product made for cake decorators is a myth.  From my research, I have concluded that it was a woman in England [who actually had a craft decoration business] that began marketing the stuff to cakers about 18 years ago.  I think that people believed that because it was marketed to cakers, it had to be edible, and she never felt the need to correct them because she sold more as a result of the mistake.

Vanaya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanaya Posted 31 Mar 2017 , 3:55am
post #4 of 4

Awesome! Thats what I thought but I didnt want to chance it at first but I ended up using craft glitter and made sure the client was aware.

Thanks for the replies! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%