Loaf Pan/cake Help

Baking By msbelle21 Updated 3 Apr 2017 , 1:56pm by msbelle21

msbelle21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msbelle21 Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 7

This feels like such a stupid question because loaf and quick bread recipes seem so simple, but loaf pans and their cakes/quick breads always seem to stump me. I bake them for however long the recipe states, yet they're underdone and start sinking. I made a Nutella swirl pound cake that was severely underbaked, even though the top looked beyond done and the toothpick came out clean (it was oily, but not a single crumb). I tried making an orange ricotta cake the other day. The recipe called for a 9x5 pan, but the batter was almost to the brim, so I scooped it into two 8x4's. 350F for 45-50 minutes. They looked and felt done, but when it came to flipping them out of the pans, they were dense and on the oily side. One of them actually started splitting. TASTES PHENOMENAL, but they don't look as they should. I must conquer this pan! Lol.

Any tips or ideas on where I'm going wrong? How will I know if a loaf cake is done if traditional tests (toothpick and touch) are failing me? I only use baking spray on my pans. I actually sprayed the 9x5 and lined it with parchment paper in hopes of getting better results, but had to move everything to the 8x4s which only had baking spray last minute.

6 replies
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 29 Mar 2017 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 7

I have found that loaf pans just take a very long time to bake, often well over an hour, and always longer than the recipe calls for.  I often need to  put a foil tent over the top near the end so the top doesn't over brown while the center cooks.  If you want it to bake faster, consider 2 small loaves instead of one large loaf.  HTH

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/2421/bread-loaf-pans.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwtu3GBRDY6ZLY1erL44EBEiQAAKIcvuCZporxmh6gCZzyLgpLlxXH20drCdrD1NZGcGk5zWEaAgpJ8P8HAQ

(This e-store has loaf pans every size imaginable.  I just bought some non standard size pans from them and they are very nice)

msbelle21 Posted 30 Mar 2017 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for your reply and the link!

I honestly thought I was doing something wrong as I read a lot of comments on the recipe and many said the recipe was perfect as is. :/

I'll have to try again with a tent and bake it longer. The top looked perfectly done at 45 minutes. How do you prepare your pans?

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 31 Mar 2017 , 6:20am
post #4 of 7

Homemade pan release (shortening oil and flour) on the sides, parchment on the bottom.  

msbelle21 Posted 1 Apr 2017 , 1:21pm
post #5 of 7

I'll give it all a try. Thanks so much for your help.

fondantslinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantslinger Posted 1 Apr 2017 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 7

I think your dilemma here is really too full a pan and not enough baking time.

I fill load pans about 2/3 full. Pans all sprayed an parchment bottom lined.

Most baking times on loaves can go to 55-60 min at 350. If it seems tops are getting too golden then cover with piece of foil an lower oven oveno 325z

msbelle21 Posted 3 Apr 2017 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 7

It was full in the 9x5 yes. I'm glad I thought to move to two 8x4s rather than watching the inevitable volcano in my oven. I know I'll be using foil next time because the tops have always looked done or overdone with a done or underdone interior. Thanks for the tips. And I love your username lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%