Ganached Mud Cake In The Fridge Or Not (To Be Later Covered In Fondant)

Decorating By natportelli Updated 15 Mar 2017 , 2:12pm by LizzieAylett

natportelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natportelli Posted 15 Mar 2017 , 2:29am
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone

I am hoping for some advice please.

I am making a 2 tier wedding cake this for weekend which will be white chocolate ganache under fondant.

I will not be able to decoarate with fondant until the day of the wedding, but I am hoping to crumb coat and ganache it tomorrow night (Thursday) as I will be out Friday night.

My question is, once ganached do I leave in the fridge and take out the morning of the wedding to get to room temperature OR do I leave it out of the fridge once ganached on Thursday for Saturday's wedding?

My main concern is that if I have the cake in the fridge and then cover it in fondant, that if the cake is not completely at room temperature then the fondant from the top of the bottom tier will stick to the base of the second tier etc when the reception's kitchen staff go to remove the tiers from each other for cutting (this happened to a test cake I did, but I placed it back in the fridge once it has been covered in fondant, so that may have been why).

My second concern is that the ganache will go off if made on Thursday for a Saturday wedding if not placed in the fridge?  I am doing a 3 parts white chocolate to 1 part cream ratio.

Thank you in advance.

1 reply
LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 15 Mar 2017 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 2

Ganache usually doesn't need to be refrigerated, so it would be perfectly fine to leave it out from Thursday to Saturday, as long as it is covered to prevent dust etc settling on it - unless the cake filling is perishable, in which case it should obviously be put in the fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%