Kitchenaid Mixer Advice

Business By Katherine1972 Updated 15 Jun 2017 , 10:45pm by kflaherty

Katherine1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katherine1972 Posted 8 Mar 2017 , 2:11am
post #1 of 9

I've had the same refurbished 5 qt lift bowl mixer for about 15 years. Its been through many gluten free wars and sometimes the motor on it sounds a little tired. I just started my home cake business and i'm literally JUST starting and only do two cakes or so a month. I'm afraid though that I'll be in the middle of an order and have this mixer die on me. I've been debating on buying another refurb from the same company and on whether to get a 6qt right now, before this one dies, giving me room for a little more batter and for around the $250 price range. Or do I just wait it out and save up for the 8qt $600 mixer? Or do I get the 6qt and then sell it and upgrade when I can afford the 8qt? Or do you think i'll even ever need an 8qt for a home bakery?

8 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 9 Mar 2017 , 1:27am
post #2 of 9

I'm pretty sure that if you get an 8 qt, you will later wish you'd gotten a 20 qt.

PrivateNameHere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrivateNameHere Posted 9 Mar 2017 , 1:32am
post #3 of 9

You should also either have it cleaned and greased professionally or do it yourself.  I did it with tutorials and greased up everything real good.

Just in case you're not ready to make that leap yet.  And even after you get a new one, it's always nice to have a backup that runs well.

Katherine1972 Posted 9 Mar 2017 , 5:30am
post #4 of 9

Well my husband pointed out this morning that since my old one isn't worth much I could keep it and have two. So I ordered the new return for $250 and all together I have 11qts of mixers. Lol 

Katherine1972 Posted 9 Mar 2017 , 5:33am
post #5 of 9

Kitchenaid Mixer Advice

PrivateNameHere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrivateNameHere Posted 10 Mar 2017 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 9

So pretty!

Have you seen the new black ones?  They're sexy.  And SUPER spendy.

Maybe in my next life lol.  My KitchenAid was a wedding gift 10 years ago.

Itsabakerslife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Itsabakerslife Posted 10 Mar 2017 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 9

Isn't it funny how bakers/cake decorators just fall in love with a machine? I'm guilty of it too, I love the beauties! I live in the uk, and have a kmix. Kitchenaids are so freaking expensive over here! Even on sale they cost £300+ (thats about $370). Katherine1972 yours is gorgeous!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Mar 2017 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 9

I was a licensed home baker and had 3 KAs and a 20 qt Hobart.  The 20 qt is now for sale, since I've greatly cut back on the biz.

kflaherty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kflaherty Posted 15 Jun 2017 , 10:45pm
post #9 of 9

Katherine-That's a beauty!  I've been looking as well. I've had the 5qt for over 20 years and still runs great but bigger IS better. 

leah_s-Do you have a pic of your Hobart for sale?  How much do you want for it?  Last question, does it have a normal plug?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%