Favorite Chocolate For Making Ganache

Baking By yellowdog Updated 8 Mar 2017 , 3:43am by aldonza

yellowdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellowdog Posted 6 Mar 2017 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 8

What is your favorite brand of chocolate for making ganache?  I've learned the hard way the Candy Melts is what not to use.  Any ideas out there?

7 replies
ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 6 Mar 2017 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 8

If you want milk chocolate then jersey milk rocks. Any good quality chocolate will work. Not chocolate chips though I found out the hard way they don't work.

vlasko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlasko Posted 6 Mar 2017 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 8

Ghirardelli 60% bittersweet chocolate chips, because it's inexpensive but high quality.  Wal-Mart sells larger sized bags at a low price.  I also like Callebaut.   But it's not cheap. 

I would recommend everyone watch Valrhona's 3-part series on the best method for making ganache.  You can find them at youtube by searching the following terms:

valrhona 1
valrhona 2
valrhona 3

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 6 Mar 2017 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 8

Basically as long as it's a good quality chocolate (not candy melts that are not even chocolate), it all depends on which you end up liking best. I use Valrhona, Callebaut or El Rey. 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 6 Mar 2017 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 8

My favourite is Cadbury 'real chocolate melts' they turn out perfect every time and the dark is not super dark. I either use the white ones straight or if I want a chocolate ganache use a mix of the milk and dark ones.

I am in Australia.

I think the reason that chocolate chips don't work is because they are given a special coating to help them hold their shape in baked items like biccies.

yellowdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellowdog Posted 7 Mar 2017 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you all for your input.  I'll be checking out different brands and looking up the Valrhona you tube videos.  Thank you all again for your time and information.

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 8 Mar 2017 , 3:32am
post #7 of 8

Besides the Ghirardelli, are these brands available in the States? I've never made ganache before and I was thinking of trying it on my next cake. Can't wait!

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 8 Mar 2017 , 3:43am
post #8 of 8

Besides the Ghirardelli, are these brands available in the States? I've never made ganache before and I was thinking of trying it on my next cake. Can't wait!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%