Parchment Paper, Wax Paper, Or Grease-Resistant Paper

Baking By gracecatan Updated 16 Jun 2017 , 6:51pm by Cakesbybliss

gracecatan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gracecatan Posted 2 Mar 2017 , 4:51am
post #1 of 11

I just started baking recently and I'm slightly confused with the different kinds of paper there is for baking. I use grease-resistant paper instead of parchment paper pretty often and it usually works, but I wanted to know what the difference was. Thanks to anyone who answers

10 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Mar 2017 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 11

What are you using the paper for?   Lining your cake pan?  I'm not fimilar with grease-resistant - how it differs from the other 2  but know either wax paper or parchement work well for that purpose. 

gracecatan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gracecatan Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 5:31am
post #3 of 11

I usually use it to line my cookie sheets and brownie tins and and as a non-stick paper for letting things like melted chocolate set. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 11

if it's working -- great!

i mean i have grease proof tissue paper i use to line boxes that i serve cookies in -- i have regular waxed paper -- i have parchment that i pipe with and parchment that i bake on that is stick resistant -- so there's like 4,000 different kinds of everything -- or more -- i lost count after 3,999 scream 

sweat_smile

if your stuff works and is food safe -- you got this --

hard to say the differences without comparing brand to brand kwim

jefflein_07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jefflein_07 Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 5:05am
post #5 of 11

Hi grace,  When baking it's really great using real Parchment paper/Baking paper. When I started baking I used first Wax paper , and my Baked goods were always burnt until I searched for "why my cakes all burnt in the bottom". thats the time i realize i bought the wrong paper for baking. Well and just recently I  bought an "RM GREASE RESISTANT PAPER" and it is not a good one for me. My cookies sticks so much even greasing with  butter, I got tempted because its cheap but now it's a no no  for me in Oven baking. ;) . so  I went to to the supermarket and had the GLAD COOK and BAKE paper, and SAGA Cooking paper which is really Wonderful. Now Im always looking for best quality stuffs but still in affordable price ;)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 11

I've been using wax paper all of my life.  Still use it for the bottom of my cake pans, but prefer parchment paper to line he sides because it is stiffer.  I've always, and still do, use foil on my cookie sheets.

The difference, as best I can see, is that wax paper is thinner than parchment paper and has a much more waxy feel.

Cakesbybliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesbybliss Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 4:06pm
post #7 of 11

Hello! 

I use to use wax paper but the I switched to parchment because I was told wax paper isn't actually heat proof. Parchment paper is awesome because really nothing will stick to it since it's treated with silicon where as wax paper, sometimes when you bake cookies on it it'll still stick since the layer of wax on the wax paper melts! Hehe 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 11

@Cakesbybliss ‍, someone's wax paper may stick, but I have been lining the bottom of my cake pans with wax paper since I started baking at around age five (I am now 69) and my mom before me and I have never had it to stick.  The reason I continue to use it in the bottom of my pans is that it releases slightly better than parchment paper.  Maybe that is just in my kitchen, lol.  Oh, and I've never had it scorch either.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 5:48pm
post #9 of 11

I use parchment to line my cake pans, and I spray the bottom of the pan so that it sticks and doesn't move. The one time I used wax paper, it started to smoke, so never again. 

Cakesbybliss Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 6:50pm
post #10 of 11

@SandraSmiley ‍ wow! Baking from five!! Yeah I know it works for baking I've always used that until my cookies stuck and then it concerned me as to why my cookies stuck (coconut macaroons) thennnn I later found out lol! TBH I think it's fine to use for cakes but since for cookies sometimes it melts (I'm not sure exactly what happens) but it sticks lol. 

Cakesbybliss Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 6:51pm
post #11 of 11

But yeah you can stick to wax for cakes too! I only prefer parchment now because I don't have to buy two types lol for cookies and cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%