Perishable Fillings: Time Allowed At Room Temperature

Baking By TC123 Updated 9 Mar 2017 , 8:16pm by -K8memphis

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 2 Mar 2017 , 2:23am
post #1 of 16

Hi Everybody!

I hope that some of you may have experience with this. I am making a wedding cake for my best friend. She wants two different fillings:  chocolate mousse and a fresh raspberry.

The event starts at 11:00 am and the cake cutting will be just around 2:00 pm. I will be leaving my house at 10:00 am to go set up.

Is this too much time for the perishable fillings to be at room temperature? I read in other sources that the allotted time is 4 hours. I expressed this serious concern to my friend. She's really wanting these fillings, but I told her I don't want to be remembered as the one who made 1/2 (or ANY!) of her guests sick!!!

Anyway, I'm going to see if some of the local bakeries by me might be willing to share their expertise. But I wanted to ask all of you, too.

Thank you for reading and sharing!

(((Hugs)))

15 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Mar 2017 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 16

Yes, the 4 hrs is what most rely on BUT......that 4 hrs includes that amount of time it's out while you are working to create this wonderful masterpiece!

The temp of the day will also effect the time element - of course the hotter the shorter the time it should be out.  Is there some very cool place the cake can be set up in?  Like a house w/air conditioning set cold? 

Now that 4 hr figure is not set in concrete :)    Your timetable (IMHO!)   really allows some wiggle room.   I would not be afraid unless it goes much longer than 5 hrs or it's really hot.   I'm sure you have heard of people leaving their butter and similar foods out all the time and don't get sick.

TC123 Posted 2 Mar 2017 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks @kakeladi... I feel better hearing about other's experiences. When I mentioned my concern to my friend and her fiance, they both seemed to think it would be fine and mentioned all of the things that we leave out. But I don't want to do anything wrong.

I will be working in my home with the AC on cold. The cake is due April 2nd in NJ. I'm not sure how warm the venue will be.

I am planning on making the fillings on Friday, as well as the baking. Saturday I will tort, fill, ice, fondant, stack and decorate.

I think I will be okay. I've still gotta think about this more.

My alternative would be to use my standard buttercream filling and offer them sauces to decorate the plates. For my sister's wedding cake (July, outdoors), I made a chocolate sauce, a vanilla creme and a raspberry

Thank you again! I really appreciate your suggestions and support! 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Mar 2017 , 1:50am
post #4 of 16

i agree with everything that's been said --

but

i'm taking it a step farther -- in my area celebration cake comes under catering for this very reason --- you are feeding a wide swath of the population -- you have a serious one-time obligation to get it right as you are correctly stating --

so imagine this -- the health department launches an investigation because the potato salad went bad and people got sick -- mostly the very young, very old and people already sick -- but in the meantime, all the vendors are interviewed -- you know you don't ever want to have to explain that your cake sat out for too long -- investigations like this rarely happen but ideas like this help me stay on the right track like you already know you need to do for safety's sake --

good on you --

had a family friend, a very successful businessman with very serious celiac disease asked point blank how do bakers keep cream cheese cakes safe -- i was serving a potentially hazardous cake and i was very happy to answer and use my cake as an example of how to do it right -- carry on!

cheers!

TC123 Posted 3 Mar 2017 , 2:27am
post #5 of 16

Hi @-K8memphis ‍ ... Thank you so much for your help, too! And thank you for giving me that scenario. (Would be my worst nightmare! But that kind of fear is good!)

Their cake tasting is scheduled for Saturday. I am going to express my concerns again. My heart wants to fulfill her wishes. I've been doing cakes for 20 years, but I am still aware that, without ServSafe or proper education, there are things I don't know, which is why I wanted to reach out to you in hopes of replies. I don't want to chance or risk someone's health because of my cake filling.

Thank you very much for sharing. I really appreciate it.

I will post again this weekend how the tasting went, as we will discuss the perishable filling issue.

(((Hugs!)))

-K8memphis Posted 3 Mar 2017 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 16

cool -- very very cool --

fwiw -- the way i do it is -- that i advise the bride that there's a trade off for using hazardous fillings -- the cake is delivered late on purpose for safety's sake -- that is within an hour of reception start time -- which means a shortened display time -- and the cake must be not only cut for the traditional pictures but cut and served within sixty/ninety minutes of start time -- cake all packaged up and put in fridge right after that --

and for me, i make that decision -- they don't get to decide if i'm going to risk the health of others so they can get a bite of their favorite on their big day -- and i know you know that already just wanted to put that out there --

i'm really proud of your moxie

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 3 Mar 2017 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 16

I have attended a few weddings where the cake was wheeled out on a cart.  Made me nervous for the cake, of course, but the cake was in the fridge before it was cut by the happy couple....less time sitting out.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Mar 2017 , 9:02pm
post #8 of 16

......the cake was wheeled out on a cart.  Made me nervous for the cake, of course, but the cake was in the fridge before it was cut ......

Yes, this is always an option IF the venu has the frig & cart etc. 

I almost never thought about fillings being pershible :(  I've set up cakes as much as 18 hrs before reception at the request of the client.  I have never had anyone claim to have become sick from eating my cakes.

I once went through an incident like K8 described. Provided the cake for an indoor wedding in HOT summer.  If I remember right the venue did not have AC.  I was not contacted by anyone and it did prove to be potato salad that had sat out for something like 8-10 hrs and taken home by janitor.....made his family sick.   BUT get this:  The person who 'catered' the wedding was not licensed - worked out of her home and got the blame for this problem!  She lost her home and had legal problems for some time after :(  Because she was considered 'in charge' and therefore liable!   

TC123 Posted 3 Mar 2017 , 9:12pm
post #9 of 16

Thank you everyone for replying! This is such an important discussion. I hope others read it. I take this all very seriously.

I decided to offer her the following options when I meet with her tomorrow for her tasting.

1. Use my buttercream filling recipe that will be okay at room temperature. I will then offer her the option of having sauces to decorate the plates. (BUT, she'll have to check with the venue to see if they are willing to do this extra step. At my brothers reception, the venue did NOT follow my request for the raspberry couli to be put on each plate. That's okay, though, I found it in time to squirt some on my brother's slice! LOL!)

2. Use the desired perishable fillings and either arrive late to the reception or, as you have suggested, have the venue refrigerate it if that's a possibility.

Thank you all sooo very much. I truly appreciate each reply and have taken it all to heart.

I will update here again, in case anyone wonders how things are progressing.

Have a wonderful weekend!

(((Hugs!!!!!)))

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Mar 2017 , 11:36pm
post #10 of 16

You can certainly flavor your buttercream chocolate, and use the sleeved raspberry fillings mixed with your buttercream.  Both are shelf stable for an extended period of time.  You can also flavor your buttercream with icing fruits, also shelf stable.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 12:39am
post #11 of 16

a note about random refrigerators -- they can ruin your cake -- they might leak or smell -- someone might need to remove the cake to put in their items -- might leave it out in the hot steamy kitchen --

i only delivered to the cake table but i'm sure you know all this after 20 years

can't wait to hear how it goes at the consult

TC123 Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 12:50am
post #12 of 16

Many thanks again! To all of you who were able to reply!

MORE good points @-K8memphis ‍ ... And knowing me, I (personally) would be uncomfortable and worried about my cake if someone took it to a back frig. I totally get what you are saying. Also... Someone could accidentally drop it, bump into it, tilt it too far, I can think of endless possibilities.

If it came to it, I would be willing to arrive late to her reception so I could be in control (and fully accountable) for the cake. But truthfully I'd like to persuade her to not use these fillings.

You all have no idea how much you have helped me. I have learned a lot throughout this conversation. Thank you for all of the ideas, for sharing with me... AND the boost of confidence! <3

(((Hugs)))

TC123 Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 1:25pm
post #13 of 16

Hi @leah_s ... Just wanted to add a special thank you for suggestions on flavoring buttercream. <3

-K8memphis Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 3:02pm
post #14 of 16

tc123 -- you absolutely think the way i do -- my stomach cringed involuntarily when i read your list of what ifs -- hahahaha --

yeah talk 'em out of it --

so here's another idea for the idea pot -- i tell my brides that my gift to them is two small 4-5" cakes -- all boxed and beautiful in cute little 6" boxes delivered with the wedding cake so that they can use all their servings -- that they are typically paying dearly for & can take fullest advantage of -- stretch that buck -- and still have a first anniversary cake ready for the freezer plus a honeymoon midnight snack cake -- this is almost always a magic moment in the consult -- reels 'em in -- i call 'em k8t cakes -- ha! (kate-T)

so anyway in this case you could mousse and raspberry the two extras maybe and everyone can be assured the tier cake is super fine able to jump tall buildings in a single bound -- etc. -- can be forgotten in a good way and not have to be handled with kid gloves and take your attention away from festivities which those fillings most definitely will --

and when it's not a loved one's wedding -- it's no biggie, advise all, deliver late blah blah blah and let the caterer handle  it -- but when the baker wants to be a part of the shebang -- it's a different story -- but of course one that can definitely be handled efficiently --

on the baby cakes that are decorated to coordinate -- i will even make one side groom's cake and one side bride's cake -- handily, easily made from leveling scraps and/or extra batter -- turns your scraps into a brilliant marketing tool --

so another thought for you blue_heart

TC123 Posted 9 Mar 2017 , 11:41am
post #15 of 16

Hi Everyone!

I am so very sorry for the late reply. I don't know where this week is going! I've been thinking of you all every day, and want to say thanks again for all of your help!

The tasting went very well! Of course my friend and her fiancé were a bit disappointed when I told them the issue with the perishable fillings. They were still trying to get me to do the cake, though. They were both coming up with ideas for how they thought it could be done. They were even willing to leave off decorations (the piping over the fondant) if it meant I could do the cake with the fillings.

I love these two very special people, and if it wasn't a serious topic it would almost seem funny to see the lengths these two were going through to make this happen. At one point I told them that the only way I would consider doing it is if I missed their reception and brought the cake to the event just before the cake cutting. (This did not sit well with them. LOL.)

Ultimately, though, I could not be budged. And they came to understand my position.

So, this is the outcome... I am going to do their cake using my non-perishable buttercream. They are also having a dessert table with pastries, cookies, etc. So they asked me to bring my mousse and raspberry treats to be added to the table. They really really want these two components there!... Checked with the venue and they are totally fine with storing these two things in their frig. I will package/seal them nicely so as to not pick up other flavors/odors. ...So they'll get everything they want... in one way or another.

I truly, TRULY cannot thank you enough for all you have done for me. I was in a panic about this. And all that you have shared with me has given me knowledge, strength and confidence. It's priceless, and I am grateful for all of your replies. (And of course for CakeCentral that pulls us all together!)

@-K8memphis ‍ ... Thank you so much for being in my corner. It really means a lot. And thank you for sharing with us about the extra cakes that you do. What an AWESOME idea! Because I just bake for family and friends, I might only make 3 cakes a year (well, more, but I mean projects with tiers, fondant, gumpaste, etc.). I hope I one day get to do this, make the extra side cakes. What a special touch! <3

Hope everyone has a great day!... And thank you all again. (((Hugs)))

-K8memphis Posted 9 Mar 2017 , 8:16pm
post #16 of 16

best of the best to you, tc123 -- you are very welcome -- i love your style, my friend -- happy is good healthy/safe is better -- you rock!

clap

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%