Floral Garland Question

Decorating By Thewhiteapron Updated 1 Mar 2017 , 8:05pm by kakeladi

Thewhiteapron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thewhiteapron Posted 27 Feb 2017 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 4

All of the cakes I have done previously using fresh flowers were for just a few flowers here and there to accent on the top and on the edge of tiers, so it worked fine with the water piks.  For these, the bride would either have the flowers dropped off to me the day before, or would be waiting for me at the cake table when I set up.

I have a cake similar to this booked for this summer. Does the bride order the floral garland like this from the florist? Or, is this something that the cake decorator is expected to do? (which I have no idea how to do). How would you keep a garland like this fresh, since each stem can't go in a water pik?

Floral Garland Question

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Feb 2017 , 1:31am
post #2 of 4

Yes the bride needs to order the flowers but....you need to be told who the florist is so you can contact them and arrange for having the cake in place in them for them to place the flowers.   Some decorators prefere to place the flowers themselves because some florists will just stick the stem of a flower right into the cake.   You need to control how the flowers are placed.

Thewhiteapron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thewhiteapron Posted 1 Mar 2017 , 6:16am
post #3 of 4

Thank you, kakeladi. I am not comfortable with anyone else placing anything on my cakes....I am just wondering if the garland like this is a one piece arrangement done by the florist, or if they are all individually inserted into the cake?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Mar 2017 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 4

.........wondering if the garland like this is a one piece arrangement done by the florist, or if they are all individually inserted........

Most likely it's individual flowers.  Some florist don't stick a stem in but just lay the flower on the icing.  The problem w/using fresh is they either has been treated w/pestisides (to be bug free) or have bugs :(   This is why it's important to do the arranging yourself.  You can lay a piece of plastic wrap on the icing so the flowers do not touch the icing. 

There was a florist/cake decorator in San Diego CA yrs back who showed how she made floral swags like that (but much fuller) by making a thick layer of b'cream for the flowers to be placed on.  She claimed she *always* served her cakes herself so she would scrape away that layer so none was served.   Just an idea for you to consider. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%