What Colour Of Gold Lustre Dust Is This?

Decorating By lizzyf Updated 28 Feb 2017 , 1:49pm by lizzyf

lizzyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzyf Posted 26 Feb 2017 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 7

I've been researching edible lustre dusts for a wedding cake but I'm having trouble finding a good colour match online (there is nowhere in town that sells these other than the wilton shimmer dusts). It looks like more of a rose gold colour to me. Any suggestions on a brand/colour? I have to color 2 single layer cakes (8" and 12") so the quantity of cake might also be a factor. 

What Colour Of Gold Lustre Dust Is This?

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Feb 2017 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 7

the best i could do with that is mix the color -- i mean the lighting is influencing the color --the gold is reflecting the pink tiers -- maybe they put the gold over the pink fondant -- it's quite a case of "who knows?" kwim

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Feb 2017 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 7

It's always hard to match colors exactly - especially one found on the internet.  Each computer shows a color differently.   Also, as K8 said, lighting and other factors effect it.  I think your best bet is to just get any good brand of gold dust and if you want that pink undertone, add just a tiny bit of pink dust.

lizzyf Posted 26 Feb 2017 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 7

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Do you know how many jars I would need to cover  2" high 8" and 12" rounds approx? Those little jars seem so little :/

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Feb 2017 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 7

They surprisingly go farther than you might think.  I bet one would do it but just in case get 2 :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Feb 2017 , 3:27am
post #6 of 7

when i was doing cakes i routinely bought more than i thought i needed because i'm just a freak that way

blush

lizzyf Posted 28 Feb 2017 , 1:49pm
post #7 of 7

Lol I guess it's better to have more on hand than not enough blush

I'll order a couple and hopefully that'll do it.

I appreciate all the help guys! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%