The Infamous Buttercream/cream Cheese Question - Please Help

Decorating By rvf4uk Updated 24 Feb 2017 , 11:51am by -K8memphis

rvf4uk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvf4uk Posted 22 Feb 2017 , 2:22am
post #1 of 5

Hey fellow cake bakers, please help!!!!

I have had this awful dilemma for many years, have done countless hours of research and wasted more buttercream icing than I should admit but I still haven't found that perfect tasting buttercream icing that holds up to perfect piping.

I have tried the double the icing sugar to cream cheese ratio, I have tried the lower cream cheese and more whipping cream ratio but I CAN NOT achieve that perfect blend.

Firstly I really need to point out that I hate the overly sweet icing sugar taste, I absolutely detest it though I know that is all dependent on each individuals tastebuds (and I do have a sensitive palate and hate too much salt/sugar) but I dont want to serve something to someone that I don't like and have bought cakes in stores that have this perfect ratio without the sweetness but can't get their secrets.

I don't want to try crisco, if I can help it, that substance kind of grosses me out so want to stick with butter, cream cheese and need something powdery to achieve that right blend.  I did buy some meringue powder but remember from years ago that it has a bitter flavour so have yet to try it in buttercream.  My Mum recommended ground almonds which I also haven't tried but assumed that this would somehow change the consistency of the buttercream, plus I sometimes make cakes for school so nuts are OUT!!!

Please consider sharing your secret, I am only 40odd but feel if I die tomorrow then one if my dying thoughts might actually be this awful, unsolved dilemma.

Thx

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Feb 2017 , 4:55am
post #2 of 5

cream cheese icing doesn't have to be the decorating icing -- ice your cake with the cream cheese buttercream then decorate with the icing that holds up to piping better -- 

although if you add enough cornstarch aka corn flour you could pipe with it --

ground almonds in buttercream icing is a new one to me -- i'd definitely sift the almond flour and reserve the bigger chunks for another project -- it still might turn out grainy -- let me know how that works out --

otherwise all you need to do is change your expectation -- best to you --

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Feb 2017 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 5

Oh I've made plenty of food that I don't like for paying customers.  

rvf4uk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvf4uk Posted 24 Feb 2017 , 3:06am
post #4 of 5

Thanks, most of my cakes are just for the family who hate the sweet taste or for the kids classmates (so they can't be too sweet or have high sugar content either).  I actually completely messed up after posting this.  I thought my cream cheese and butter (Irish, gold package) were the same slightly chilled temp but the icing started to curdle terribly.  I used 8 oz of each of butter and cream cheese and made the mistake of using 3/4 cup of icing sugar when I normally only use 1/2 (thought recipe asked for 1cup)  I wasn't going to use cream this time but ended up warming a little and mixing it in which helped with the curdling slightly until it was put back in the fridge and then curdle-tastic again!!!!

Not tried cornstarch!!!! I guess it might work but raw flour?? not sure.  Please keep your suggestions coming though.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Feb 2017 , 11:51am
post #5 of 5

don't heat the cream -- cream cheese is a hazardous food and needs to be handled carefully so people don't get sick -- also be careful of how long you keep cream cheese out of the fridge altogether --

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%