Yeast Based Cake Recipe

Baking By bakemeenchanted Updated 25 Feb 2017 , 6:00pm by bakemeenchanted

bakemeenchanted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeenchanted Posted 22 Feb 2017 , 12:20am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! So a customer of mine was asking me for baking tips the other day, and she showed me this recipe asking if I'd ever seen anything like it before:

2 shredded carrots

2 cups sugar

1 cup oil

3 eggs

Pinch of salt

2 1/2 cups flour

1/2 cup chopped nuts

1/2 cup pineapple chunks

1 tsp cinnamon powder

1 tsp vanilla essence

1 tsp yeast

Mix the sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla together. Add the flour, salt and yeast. Stir in the nuts, pineapple, carrots and cinnamon. Pour into a pan and bake.

(I'm translating from a foreign language so the process may be a little off, but the ingredients are correct)

Has anyone seen a recipe like this before? They haven't mentioned anything about a rising time for the dough. The proportions also seem a little off to me. Does this seem more like a bread recipe than cake? I would love any insight. Thanks in advance!

4 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 22 Feb 2017 , 2:24am
post #2 of 5

This recipe has a high proportion of fat and sugar; it's definitely a cake recipe.

I've made yeasted cakes, but prefer using chemical leaveners, which are more predictable.

bakemeenchanted Posted 23 Feb 2017 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the info mimi! How did you find the texture of the yeast ed cakes? Similar to using baking powder/ baking soda?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Feb 2017 , 2:37am
post #4 of 5

There's a subtle but definite difference in texture. For my taste, I want cakes to be sweet and tender, while breads are chewy and less sweet. I really didn't like mixing up these characteristics.

bakemeenchanted Posted 25 Feb 2017 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 5

Hmm yeah I was thinking would be kinda bread-y, and that isn't something I want in my cakes either. Thanks so much for the input! Appreciate it! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%