How To Use Fondant After Resting Overnight

Decorating By chudimac11 Updated 18 Feb 2017 , 4:27pm by leah_s

chudimac11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chudimac11 Posted 17 Feb 2017 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 4

I keep trying to make my own fondant because I'm determined to get it right.  I normal have no problems in the kitchen so I don't know why I have so much trouble with this.  So this is the third time I've tried Michele Foster's recipe.  The second time I tried to use immediately without resting and that was a disaster.  So like before, it has rested overnight, saran wrapped tightly multiple times and put into a gallon bag.  It's very hard, last time, I had to microwave quickly to really work with it because kneading wasn't enough.  I've read the microwave should be the last resort.  So my question is, is this normal and how do others get the fondant back to a nice consistency to work with?

3 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 17 Feb 2017 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 4

I microwave it for 10 seconds to soften, and then knead it until it stretches without breaking, to the point that it looks like taffy when stretched. I let it rest again for 15 minutes and it's ready to go. 

ConnieCakes14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieCakes14 Posted 18 Feb 2017 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 4

I make my own fondant and gumpaste on every cake.  My recipe is simply marshmallow and powdered sugar. I don't know where you got that info on using the microwave as a last resort, I use the microwave A LOT when my fondant gets too hard and it does that often no matter if I cover it or not. Usually do 5 sec or 10 sec increments until it's warm and soft. Then I knead it with a little bit of crisco to get it nice and malleable. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Feb 2017 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 4

Microwaving can affect commercial fondants, because it starts to break down the gums.  Those aren't in what you're making.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%