Fondant Figure - Lightening Colour

Decorating By Cakey-Pin Updated 20 Feb 2017 , 11:07am by Cakey-Pin

Cakey-Pin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey-Pin Posted 16 Feb 2017 , 10:17am
post #1 of 4

I was asked to make a cake with two fondant figures on it for my friend's family.  They are Asian and asked for the figures to be brown so I used Renshaw's Teddy Bear colour which isn't dark.  They've now asked if they can be made lighter.

My question is is there I way I can lighten the head and hands without having to remake them as then I'd need to re-do the hair and eyes as well.  Due to working full time and doing the cake in the evening (which I still have to do all the decoration on for Saturday) I don't really have any time to re-make them so for time constraints if there was a way to lighten the already made figures it would be a great help.

Thanks in advance. 

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Feb 2017 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 4

Haven't ever tried this but I would think you might be able to make a very, very thin consistency icing (royal? or B'cream) and 'wash'/paint over the figure.  The color should be maybe a cream or off-white.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 20 Feb 2017 , 6:06am
post #3 of 4

I've lightened things before by spraying or brushing on a pale petal dust, a shimmery pearl one works best for me but that might not be a look you want to go for on this particular occasion (they might end up looking like Twilight vampires...haha!).

You could perhaps try a few different pale dusts on some spare fondant and see if any of that does the trick?

Cakey-Pin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey-Pin Posted 20 Feb 2017 , 11:07am
post #4 of 4

Brilliant ideas, thank you both so much.  I'll give them a try and see how I get on!

Also keep it in mind if I'm ever making Vampires ;)

x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%