Gymnast Sillohuettes On Side Of Cake

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 20 Feb 2017 , 3:18pm by Expatmum

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 16 Feb 2017 , 2:15am
post #1 of 12

Hi there, I would like to make gymnast cake for my daughter, and  attach gymnast silhouettes on the side of her cake. Should I use fondant or candy melt? What tool would be best to use for detail cutting? If used blade, I would be concerned to destroy my mat. Thank you for your advice.

11 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 16 Feb 2017 , 4:17am
post #2 of 12

I've used gumpaste to do them, and used an xacto knife on my self healing mat with no problems at all. 

ypierce82 Posted 16 Feb 2017 , 4:18am
post #3 of 12

Also, you don't have to drag the blade. You can press the blade into the gumpaste and cut it, that won't ruin the mat, either. 

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 16 Feb 2017 , 4:54am
post #4 of 12

Why not just use a regular cutting board?

ZlatkaT Posted 16 Feb 2017 , 11:16am
post #5 of 12

thank you!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Feb 2017 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 12

Personally I would use straight fondant.  GP dries so very hard rather quickly.  Fondant does not so that will allow you to place the deco on a cake and be slightly flexable to mold to the shape of the a round cake. 

ZlatkaT Posted 17 Feb 2017 , 12:51am
post #7 of 12

I will use fondant and  add some cornstarch to it, hope that would help not stretch to much when applying to the side of cake.

ypierce82 Posted 17 Feb 2017 , 1:52am
post #8 of 12

I used what I had on hand, and my gum paste was still flexible. Be sure to post a picture! 

ZlatkaT Posted 18 Feb 2017 , 6:55pm
post #9 of 12

It’s finished. The cutting was not an easy job, using blade and combination of fondant+gumpaste. Mat is OK. I can’t do a good job of covering cakes with fondant, always have the “skirt” there. Just can’t do it for the sake of me –(. Thanks for your help, my daughter loves it. Pics is posted

jselle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jselle Posted 18 Feb 2017 , 11:27pm
post #10 of 12

Do you happen to have a Cricut or Silhouette? I bought an extra one that I use solely for food/cake decorating, and I cut these little silhouettes out of a black sugar sheet. Worked like a charm!Gymnast Sillohuettes On Side Of Cake

ZlatkaT Posted 18 Feb 2017 , 11:40pm
post #11 of 12

that is amazing! I don't bake much, so never heard of sugar sheet and cutting machine, but it sure makes clean cuts. Always learn something new here.

Expatmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Expatmum Posted 20 Feb 2017 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 12

Sugar sheets bubbled and dripped on my buttercream thanks to humidity. I had to scrape them all off and redo in black fondant. Using templates printed from Pinterest, I cut the figures out on chopping board dusted with powdered sugar using a paring knife and curved little nail scissors ( only used for cakes!! Gymnast Sillohuettes On Side Of Cake )  The slight relief was a nicer finish I thought. Gymnast Sillohuettes On Side Of Cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%