Is This Cake Raw?

Baking By Sandysdream Updated 12 Feb 2017 , 11:28pm by bubs1stbirthday

Sandysdream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandysdream Posted 12 Feb 2017 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 8

Client send me this photo saying they loved the cake but could not eat the top layer as it was raw.  I explained that it was moist and not raw.  It has been raining the whole week and it is very humid. They picked up the cake yesterday and cut it today. I cut this layer in half to put icing on and it definately was not raw.  Is This Cake Raw?

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Feb 2017 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 8

i hear you about it not being raw -- it looks like it is fully baked -- although it does look pretty juicy --

the icing seems to have melded/melted into the cake then add in your humidity and raininess and even though it is definitely looking fully baked your client is  using an inadequate word to describe to you that that was not what they expected nor unfortunately wanted to eat -- 

so I think the weather messed you up on this -- i hate that that happened -- what kind of cake is it?

msbelle21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msbelle21 Posted 12 Feb 2017 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 8

Doesn't look raw to me. I'll eat it. stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

I agree with k8 though. The melted icing was the first thing I noticed unfortunately.

Sandysdream Posted 12 Feb 2017 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 8

Vanilla cake.

Sandysdream Posted 12 Feb 2017 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 8

Vanilla cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Feb 2017 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 8

Doesn't look raw, but could it have too much sugar.  Something's off.  I've never had humidity/rain affect a cake in that way, and I live in the Ohio Valley - where temp and humidity are the same number in the summer (90/90).

Sandysdream Posted 12 Feb 2017 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 8

They took the cake to the venue today. Sunny today and very hot. Don't know if the cake was maybe a long time in the car?  What I don't understand is why they say it is only the top layer. Nothing wrong with bottom one. Same cake. Was baked together. Anyway she send a message saying she understand.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 12 Feb 2017 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 8

I must admit I thought it was a mud cake and am surprised it is a vanilla cake but it doesn't look raw. Have they had one of your vanilla cakes before? If they have and it normally looks drier normally I could understand why they would think it was under baked though. 

I had a cake do that with the icing once. It was before I really got in to cakes and alternate icings etc (was actually my little girls first birthday cake). I used an ABC but it was a very soft one and when I cut it the icing had just disappeared in to the cake. It was rather warm on the day but not humid and not really really hot either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%