Permission To Bake At Home

Business By Sue_cakelove91 Updated 4 Feb 2017 , 4:57pm by PattyT

Sue_cakelove91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sue_cakelove91 Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone, I called my housing association today to ask if I'm alowed to bake at home as a business and they said I have to send an email to them asking permission if I'm ok to do so in the property I'm in but I'm not completely sure what to write for asking permission...

They did say to mention what my business is and if it affects my neighbours etc etc and I can't remember what else he said as he spoke very fast and was gone before i knew it.

Any information would be amazing please! Thank you in advance x

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 6

Since it is a housing association we can't say what they want to hear.  You are going to have to call back and ask them to talk slower so you can make notes!  I do that all the time as people in general these days speak much to fast for the brain to understand all that is being said.

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 6

Your copy of the home owner's association by-laws should state any regulations regarding home based businesses... Check there...

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 4 Feb 2017 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 6

If at all possible, hand deliver a written response along with a plate of cookies or cupcakes (or whatever you do best). Sweet treats cookie often help to sway responses toward a positive outcome. Good luck!

Sue_cakelove91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sue_cakelove91 Posted 4 Feb 2017 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you! X

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 4 Feb 2017 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 6

I agree will all of the above posts... especially MimiFix's idea for a plate of treats!!

Once you have a bit more information - when you write your response, try to word it in a way to dispel any worries they may have.  They will be worried about disruption to THEIR world.

For example cars, trucks, traffic and parking.  Do you anticipate customers coming for consults and pick-ups? If so, how many to you think?  Will you have supplies delivered? If so, just an occasional UPS truck with some online orders; or more often with baking ingredients?  If you have an estimate - let them know.  "I anticipate X number of clients during the week, with possibly X on the weekends for pickups". 

Your immediate neighbors - left, right, above, below - may be worried about noise and odors.... though baking rarely causes offensive smells.  They make sugar cookie candles after all!  Reassure them this will not be the case.

They may ask about trash.  Will your baking increase the load for the normal homeowner pickups?

Also reassure them you plan to comply with all local codes requirements for licenses, etc.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%