How Can I Make Pillsbury Box Mix Dense Enough To Withstand Being In Tiers?

Baking By ilickthebowl23 Updated 3 Feb 2017 , 6:46pm by kakeladi

ilickthebowl23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilickthebowl23 Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 6:26am
post #1 of 5

Thank you for your time and response!

How can I make Pillsbury box mix dense enough to withstand being in tiers?

Do you freeze the whole cake, take out and torte, then freeze until ready to build? What's your process?

4 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 9:19am
post #2 of 5

Pillsbury is horrible for stacked or tiered cakes. It's fine for cupcakes but I wouldn't use it for anything else. Stick with Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines I have never had an issue with either one.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 5

The cake doesn't need to be dense to be a tiered cake.  Your support system is what holds the cake up.  You could, theoretically put fruitcake on top of angelfood cake with an adequate support system.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 5

Replace the oil called for with an equal amount of Helman's Mayo.......  you do not taste the mayo, but it makes a WONDERFUL cake....

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 5

leah is right........it's NOT the cake that holds up the upper tiers.   Here is a wonderful cake recipe.  Please take time to read through all the comments as there is a wealth of information contained all through the many posts!  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

As you can see once you have read the linked recipe you can use Pillsbury mixes with good results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%