Samples To Businesses

Business By ckirstebakes Updated 3 Feb 2017 , 1:49am by MimiFix

ckirstebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckirstebakes Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 7

I opened a home bakery in August...6 months ago. I am still trying to get my name out there. Most of the cakes i have done so far are for family and family friends. What do you think about giving out mini cupcake samples with a brochure and business cards to local businesses to let them meet you and see what you have to offer? Sounds like a good idea to help get my name out more locally. Thoughts? 

6 replies
Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 7

Absolutely a great idea.  But if your looking for event cake business, instead of a cupcake, perhaps bake a sheet cake and cut 2.5" or 3" cake circles, then decorate mini cakes with simple, but elegant designs.  That would give potential clients and vendor partners some indication of your skills.  A cupcake is easily produced at home, is frequently associated with children's birthday parties, so a cupcake isn't necessarily a great representation of an event cake.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 7

I did this using 9" heart cookies for Val. Day yrs ago.  I worked great!   I went around town to any large bank, office building, and beauty shop I could find.   I levf a cookie for display along w/flyers I printed up on my home computer.

ckirstebakes Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 7

@Siftandwisk2 ‍    Thank you! That's a great idea! I like that better than the cupcakes. I think my idea was to be able to get them a sampling of all flavors with minis but I def want to do cakes. I am a little discouraged because there happens to be one more home baker 20 minutes from me and she does lots with fondant and I just love to use buttercream. I'm sure I can't compete with the big 3d cakes just yet. Everyday I get motivated to get out there, then worry of my lack of artistry to some. 

ckirstebakes Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 7

@kakeladi ‍  Thank you! That's what Im planning to do. I gotta start somewhere. I would love more customers.

Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 7

Ckirstebakes, you're not alone, all have fears about our skill and artistic talent.  Practice and experience are the teachers.  And also keep in mind not everyone wants an overthetop cake.  The fact that naked cakes are all the rage speaks to that fact.  I'm sure there's a market for buttercream.  I know a pastry chef who specializes in buttercream (real buttercream, not the shortening type).  While she does offer fondant, clients want her buttercream cakes. And her buttercream cakes are very simple, but very elegant.  Yet, she starts at $8/serving; I know part of that price is our area, but it also speaks to market and perceived value.  It really is possible to build a business on quality and simplicity.  BTW, she keeps her freezer stocked with mini cake circles, and uses them for cake tastings.  

Quote by @ckirstebakes on 1 hour ago

@Siftandwisk2 ‍    Thank you! That's a great idea! I like that better than the cupcakes. I think my idea was to be able to get them a sampling of all flavors with minis but I def want to do cakes. I am a little discouraged because there happens to be one more home baker 20 minutes from me and she does lots with fondant and I just love to use buttercream. I'm sure I can't compete with the big 3d cakes just yet. Everyday I get motivated to get out there, then worry of my lack of artistry to some. 

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 3 Feb 2017 , 1:49am
post #7 of 7

Does your permit allow you to sell wholesale?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%