Luster Dust Question

Decorating By joeyww12000 Updated 6 Feb 2017 , 2:26pm by joeyww12000

joeyww12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeyww12000 Posted 1 Feb 2017 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 7

I'm going to use gold luster dust on some fondant decor and then place on the cake. Should I make the paste and paint or just use it dry? If I do it dry does it stay on well? Will it rub off when I'm putting the pieces on the cake?

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Feb 2017 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 7

best answer is test it on some scraps -- you've probably already done that as i'm a little late to the party -- this way you have a working knowledge of how each way works for your particular situation and application --

and just depends on how you pick them up, and just 10,000 variables -- and nothing wrong with touching them up afterwards too -- also i do like to paint after applying some kinds of fondant cutouts to the cake surface -- surprisingly the paint often clings well to the piece  -- but dusting after placement onto the cake is usually pretty messy -- goes all over  -- hard to confine the dust -- 

best to you

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 5 Feb 2017 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 7

Like she said definitely try ahead of time. I purchased a new gold luster dust cause my cake store was out of the one I typically use and it was awful! Lol. I thought since I had used luster dust before that I wouldn't have any problems. Boy was I wrong!!!  No matter what I mixed it with it kept turning green!!  I still wonder if something was wrong with the dust!! 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Feb 2017 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 7

interesting, gigglebox2014 -- 

i got some 'luster' dust recently and it was glorified petal dust, no sheen to it at all -- terrible stuff is being put out there sometimes -- no comparison to the real thing -- luster in name only

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 6 Feb 2017 , 12:51am
post #5 of 7

Yes kstevens!!!  I was blown away!  I drove over an hour away to get this  dust when I realized I was low on the one I normally use. I even messaged our local cake store owner and she couldn't believe I was dealing with it turning green either. It was hideous. Ended up having to go a completely different direction on the wedding cake I was working on. I was a mess! 

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 6 Feb 2017 , 12:52am
post #6 of 7

Ooops meant k8!!  Sorry!  Lol 

joeyww12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeyww12000 Posted 6 Feb 2017 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the advice. I made a Minnie Mouse bow with gold ears. Turned out great. I just brushed it on dry. Started out with yellow fondant.Luster Dust Question

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%