Selling Cakes And Maybe Donuts?

Baking By ckirstebakes Updated 31 Jan 2017 , 11:55pm by ckirstebakes

ckirstebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckirstebakes Posted 30 Jan 2017 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 5

I have an at home cake  business I just started last year. I live in a very rural area, and have realized there is another at home baker  20 minutes away. I mainly sell cakes with buttercream but have also noticed no one sells homemade donuts in the area. I would like to research about selling those as well. Any thoughts?

4 replies
BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 30 Jan 2017 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 5

I don't see how that would be worth your time.  Donuts are too cheap to make any money off of.  And I don't see how you could mass produce them from home to make them profitable enough.

Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 30 Jan 2017 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 5

Youll need a marketing angle like Hole of Ashevile NC.  Hole actually copied their doughnuts  from the Amish...but truly, its not recipe, but the shape and size.  It's handmade, so not uniform in shape;  twice the size as a regular doughnut.  Amish limit their use modern machinery and tools, so their doughnuts have that handmade charm.  The lady who started Hole just copied the Amish doughnut.

But I think the only way to make money on doughnuts is to find a way to sell them fresh....a doughnut a couple hours old is considered stale.  People hate doughnuts a few hours old.  That's why Krispy Kreme has a neon "HOT NOW" sign to alert the public when fresh doughnuts are just out of the fryer.

Bon Appetite named Hole's doughnuts best dessert of the year--yeah, a doughnut.

google "hole donuts asheville bon appetite"  if you're curious about it. 

Amish doughnut recipes are online.  But really there's only a couple of ways to make a doughnut, so it's really the look and size.

vlasko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlasko Posted 31 Jan 2017 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 5

Rather than donuts, you could also learn how to make chocolates.   You can get good at it with some practice, and they have a long shelf life.  Use quality chocolate and ingredients.  You can find instructional videos online showing you how to fill the molds, make the filling,  and temper the chocolate.  You could additionally sell hard ice cream and shakes.  

ckirstebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckirstebakes Posted 31 Jan 2017 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone for all the feedback! Trying to think outside the box. I will def look into amish donuts and possibly chocolates as well. But def will have trial and error before a full decision. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%