Need Gluten Free Vegan Cake Recipe

Baking By handymama Updated 11 Feb 2017 , 11:24pm by jchuck

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 30 Jan 2017 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 18

We make gluten free cakes frequently and I've occasionally made vegan, but now I have a booked bride (ie I'm committed) who wants/needs a gluten free vegan cake. The only good-sounding recipe that I've found uses an organic gluten free flour from California (Celine's) that is $38 for five pounds with shipping! Vegan cakes can be very fragile and fall apart, or not rise. I'll try my good vegan recipe with GF flour today, but am wondering if any of you fabulous people have a tried and true vegan GF cake you would share?

17 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jan 2017 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 18

can you go chocolate or fruity?

I'm at an appt right now & can't get the link but if you can go choco look at the "just mayo" website they have a nice tasty recipe that when dressed up well with icing and other lovely gooey things would work --

then add some xanthan gum -- just a little -- measure carefully -- to any flour that doesn't already have it --

I'd put some baby food applesauce in a yellow or white cake --

yes it is pricey especially if you are recipe testing -- how many servings?

-K8memphis Posted 30 Jan 2017 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 18

but if you could do some kind of all out fruity cake like an apple cake with fruit in the batter that would be delicious and much more doable, successful taste wise especially over plain white or yellow where there's no where to run to no where to hide kwim

jazz.chand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jazz.chand Posted 31 Jan 2017 , 11:47am
post #4 of 18

Hi I need a recipe that is doable - tried a chocolate vegan gluten free cake - but the client found it too heavy.

Please can someone send me a good recipe - it must be  Gluten , dairy, nut and egg free.

Thank you so much

-K8memphis Posted 31 Jan 2017 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 18

https://www.hamptoncreek.com/just-mayo/recipes/chocolate

don't worry -- the "just mayo" brand mayo is vegan --

wonderful cake -- gotta try out your gf cake flour in it

best to you -- lemme know if you try it

jazz.chand Posted 31 Jan 2017 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 18

K8memphis thank you so much  - someone has requested for a cake for her children who have never had a birthday cake due to all their allergies.

She wants a sponge cake - its becoming challenging.

handymama Posted 31 Jan 2017 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 18

Tried a brown sugar vegan GF cake yesterday. Flavor was excellent, texture was very heavy. Going to tweak and try again, and also try the chocolate recipe above. Thanks K8memphis

jazz.chand Posted 31 Jan 2017 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 18

handymama - I also tried a recipe off the net - it was heavy and a;; i could taste is the flour

-K8memphis Posted 1 Feb 2017 , 1:37am
post #9 of 18

try aquafaba cake recipes for the chiffon -- it's google-able -- i've never made one but that's a good direction --

but it's annoying for someone to want a cake that traditionally has egg foam as its basis when they cannot eat eggs --- i mean seriously -- but lucky you -- aquafaba is now a thing and available --

but i tell yah this is exactly why i did not do recipe testing for paying customers unless they wanted to cough up big time for it -- aka "just say no" :)

an in general tip -- two basic types of pre-mixed gf flour -- one is for bread and one for cake -- the flour more successful for cake has the xanthan gum already in it -- you can't just go buy any gf flour and get it to cooperate -- i am no expert but gf flour is quite a study all in itself -- i'd suggest getting pre-mixed --

gf baking is quite challenging -- would love to hear how it goes -- best to you

jazz.chand Posted 1 Feb 2017 , 9:21am
post #10 of 18

thank you so much - you have been very helpful

handymama Posted 10 Feb 2017 , 11:37pm
post #11 of 18

Okay --need the cake to be vanilla. Anyone?

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 11 Feb 2017 , 12:17am
post #12 of 18

I have a young lady I bake for. Gluten intolerant, plus other sensitivities. So I bake vegan for her..safe.

I use Bob's Redmill one to one flour. I use chick pea liquid as my egg replacement, almond milk instead of cow's milk. Then I basically bake a white/vanilla cake as I normally would. I also use the chick pea liquid to make vegan royal icing. (You can get that from the Aquafaba site). Then I make cooked flour icing, using aforementioned flour, using all shortening.  To give the icing stability, I add half of the chick pea royal icing to the flour icing. 

Hope this helps

handymama Posted 11 Feb 2017 , 3:25am
post #13 of 18

Thanks jchuck. So far we've used vegan recipes with the Bob's flour that you use. One was so heavy -- even after over-baking to the point that the outer inch was relatively hard -- that oil would drip out of it when I squeezed it. Do you use veg. oil or substitute applesauce, or something else? Is the texture of your cake stable enough for a stacked cake?

jchuck Posted 11 Feb 2017 , 1:35pm
post #14 of 18

Well handymama

Actually I should tell you that I actually used one to one flour from a local Bulk store. There "brand".  The employee said it was Bob's Red Mill in there bin. It's cheaper because they buy in bulk and remove from the package. So, perhaps my flour isn't quite the same? I made cupcakes too, and no problem. 

There is a member here MsGf who does only gluten free. Perhaps you can find her here and pm her. She has helped me. I'm sure she would be willing to help you too.

handymama Posted 11 Feb 2017 , 5:37pm
post #15 of 18

Thanks -- I'll contact her. One last question: how much chick pea liquid equals an egg, and can you just pour it off of a can of chick peas?

jchuck Posted 11 Feb 2017 , 10:01pm
post #16 of 18

“A good rule of thumb is to use one tablespoon of aquafaba for one egg yolk, two tablespoons for one egg white or three tablespoons for one whole egg,” 

Here's the recipe for Aquafaba/chick pea royal icing:http://wallflowerkitchen.com/vegan-eggless-royal-icing/

handymama Posted 11 Feb 2017 , 11:06pm
post #17 of 18

Thanks jckuck you've been so patient and helpful

jchuck Posted 11 Feb 2017 , 11:24pm
post #18 of 18

No problem handymama

I like to help when I can. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%