Help With Coloring Frosting!

Decorating By nickersonma Updated 29 Jan 2017 , 4:58am by Phinson

nickersonma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickersonma Posted 27 Jan 2017 , 2:17am
post #1 of 8

I am making an Elena of Avalor cake for my daughter's 5th birthday.  Please help me get the vibrant red and blue colors from the show.  I am using a basic buttercream frosting and wilton coloring.  Any help is appreciated!!

7 replies
nickersonma Posted 27 Jan 2017 , 2:21am
post #2 of 8

Right now I have a light pinkish-orange color (like salmon spread) and that is not what I want!  How do I get a deep color?

Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 27 Jan 2017 , 2:41am
post #3 of 8

I add a tiny amount of black to help deepen my colors ,but It is hard if not impossible to get a deep red buttercream. If it is for just a small area maybe you could use precolored buttercream. Like you find in supermarkets in tubes.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 27 Jan 2017 , 2:43am
post #4 of 8

LOTS of food coloring.

Add Wilton bright white as some say that helps hold the color better.

Let it sit overnight to deepen the color before use.

Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 27 Jan 2017 , 3:29am
post #5 of 8

Wilton is known for producing inferior red and black.  You can use the entire bottle of Wilton red and still be pink.  Americolor is a much better food dye.

nickersonma Posted 27 Jan 2017 , 4:10am
post #6 of 8

Thank you for the responses!  I am going to the store to try Americolor :)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jan 2017 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 8

I know I'm late answering you but for future knowledge you could add some black cherry or strawberry UNsweetened KoolAid powder. 

Unfortunately it take at least overnight for those dark/bold colors to develop in b'cream.  When wanting red start w/pink or orange or yellow before adding any red.  Adding a tiny hint of black or brown might help - but just a bit.  Again, it's always best to mix those colors at least the night before needing them.

Phinson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phinson Posted 29 Jan 2017 , 4:58am
post #8 of 8

You can add some red petal dust in the icing to give it a more saturated color. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%