Is Cake Undercooked?

Baking By bvwilliams Updated 23 Jan 2017 , 10:57pm by Jeff_Arnett

bvwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bvwilliams Posted 23 Jan 2017 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 5

This is the first time this has ever happened to me and I'm not sure what to do.  I baked a 12" round layer of vanilla cake and when I flipped it out the pan, the sides were not golden brown like the top.  In fact, the sides were barely brown at all.  Does this mean that the cake is not done on the sides?  I did a toothpick test and the center was done.  The top of the cake had browned and the sides had pulled  away from the pan a little.  So I figured the cake was done.  Usually when I flip the cake out the pan the whole cake is a nice light perfect brown and this time only the top was brown.  The sides and bottom of the cake isn't.  I really don't want to serve a half baked cake if it's not completely done but I can't exactly cut into it to check it.  Anyone have this happen to them before?  And what do I do?  Should I start over.  Hate to waste cake.  The toothpick test came out clean and it flipped out the pan just fine, so I'm stumped.

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jan 2017 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 5

If it passed the toothpick test, & the sides pulled away from the pan  it is not 1/2 baked:)  I'm sure it's fine to use. 

Most likely you need to check your oven temp.....this sounds like the oven is not heating right........that the temp at which you baked the cake was not what it was suppose to be. Is it electric or gas?  If electric maybe there might be 2 elements with one of them not working.   Do you use a good oven thermometer?  Did you check the temp often while it baked?  Not by opening the door but just peeking in the window. 

bvwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bvwilliams Posted 23 Jan 2017 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 5

Hi, Kakeladi.  My oven is electric and I don't don't use an oven thermometer. I occasionally checked on the cake by peeking in the window (not opening the door).  It was rising exactly how I wanted it to...with a flat top.  

I may have to check to see if something is malfunctioning in the oven.  I just didn't want someone to cut into a cake with a doughy texture inside.  Thanks for your comment.  It made me feel a lot better.  Really didn't want to start over and bake another cake. 

JustOneMoreCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustOneMoreCake Posted 23 Jan 2017 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 5

I love when the sides don't brown.  Looks prettier when it's cut into since there's no line of demarcation between cake and frosting!  I always had pale sides when I used Magic Strips to keep the top flat.  Since I lowered the oven temp, I don't need the Magic Strips anymore but maybe I should.  Hmm.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 23 Jan 2017 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 5

I use magicake strips on all my cakes and the sides of my cake are rarely brown at all....I prefer it that way...looks better when the cake is cut!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%