Chocolate Buttercream

Baking By katel Updated 26 Jan 2017 , 10:06pm by katel

katel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katel Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 6

Help! I need a great buttercream recipe! I have to make an owl cake this weekend and I've never made a chocolate buttercream before. I need it to be awesome as it's for a benefit luncheon and could get me some extra work if they like it. Thanks so much for any help you can give me!!!!

5 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 23 Jan 2017 , 4:22am
post #2 of 6

What buttercream do you currently use? I usually just add cocoa or some melted chocolate to a buttercream to get my choc buttercreams (I usually use SMBC). Or you could do a lovely ganache.

katel Posted 23 Jan 2017 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 6

I make Publix buttercream. (butter, crisco, powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and almond extract and meringue powder)

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 24 Jan 2017 , 1:09am
post #4 of 6

If you really want a 'wow' buttercream, then I'd suggest trying a Swiss meringue buttercream or a ganache, especially if you've not tried them before.

The SMBC has a gorgeous silky, satiny texture. I sometimes find with buttercreams using powdered sugar that they can have a slightly gritty mouth feel and neither the SMBC or ganache have that, which I think really raises them up a level in terms of quality.

I've used Sweetapolita's SMBC recipe for years, it's my 'go to' frosting recipe. The steps can seem a little complicated at first, but once you've done it a few times it's super easy and really doesn't take that much longer than chucking everything in the bowl for powdered sugar style buttercreams.

http://sweetapolita.com/2011/04/swiss-meringue-buttercream-demystified/

Then you have ganache. Gorgeous, gooey, rich, beautiful ganache. I love the stuff. And it covers cakes beautifully and makes a great cover to go under fondant as it sets up firm and wonderfully smooth.

Hope all that helps! Looking forward to seeing your finished owl cake   :)

Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 24 Jan 2017 , 3:01am
post #5 of 6

I'd go with Italian meringue buttercream or Rose Levy Beranbaum' mousseline .  Both pipe like a dream and are stabilized by the hot sugar syrup.  You can find recipes and tutorials online.  Since you want "wow" factor, I'd stay away from shortening based icings.  The texture and flavor of shortening based frostings are on par with a Costco cake.  and trust me, people can taste the difference.  I had a 10 yr old ask me why my frosting was so delicious when all the other cakes he had ever eaten had "nasty frosting"  that he refused to eat.  If a kid can tell the difference, then all the adults will be able to tell the difference.

katel Posted 26 Jan 2017 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all so much...I'm going to try SMB tonight!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%