Friday Night Cake Club For 1/20/17

Decorating By catlharper Updated 26 Jan 2017 , 7:40am by GIGGLEBOX2014

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 21 Jan 2017 , 3:37am
post #1 of 26

Opening up another session of the FNCC! ALL levels of cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if they can!

Cat

25 replies
catlharper Posted 21 Jan 2017 , 3:39am
post #2 of 26

Hello everyone!

No cake this week. I normally make one for my office birthdays but had to put it off for a week while my oven got worked on. The thermostat went wonky and I wasn't going to trust a cake to that!

That's it for me. A rather trying day for America. I won't discuss politics on this page but if you want to contact me please feel free to do so in private messaging.

Cat

Ginja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ginja Posted 21 Jan 2017 , 4:06am
post #3 of 26

I love this!  I'm trying to make a toilet cake for my mom's boyfriend who's a plumber.  There aren't a lot of tutorials for this one so I'm definitely winging it and may need some advice!  I'll post some pics when I get farther along.  I've got the last of the cakes cooling and just finished cutting the lid & seat out of cardboard that i'm going to cover in fondant.  

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 21 Jan 2017 , 4:31am
post #4 of 26

Nothing for me this week either. We're in the process of moving to a new apartment (yay!); once we're settled in I can do hubby's birthday cake. It has lots of storage for my baking stuff too!

Ginja, can't wait to see how your toilet cake turns out!

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 21 Jan 2017 , 7:43am
post #5 of 26

Here's my offering from this week.  I have to say it's been a bit of a pain.....i massively under quoted, the first 14" Madeira cake I made needed to be re done (24 eggs, 1.4kg of butter/sugar etc) and the flowers took me hours and hours to do.  I took some advice and for the first time ever I used Massa Ticino to cover both cakes - it was very expensive but worth every penny as the 22" square I needed for the bottom cake (the 14" one) went on like a dream.  The 10" fruit cake turned out well as well.  It was collected on Tuesday and has travelled across the UK for a party being held tonight (Sat).  I hope customer is as pleased with the taste of the cakes as she was the appearance.

[postimage id="6260" thumb="900"]

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 21 Jan 2017 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 26

Good afternoon! I hope everybody is having a nice weekend so far.

@hep275 ‍ that cake is beautiful and those flowers are gorgeous. Very well done.

I've made two cakes this week for my niece and nephew. They are twins. My niece's ask for a ringette cake, again!  She loves her sport so much.

The request of my nephew was for a green nascar cake. I hope he likes it!

I does'nt seem to let me post text and pictures at the same time. I will try to send them next. 

Laetia Posted 21 Jan 2017 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 26

[postimage id="6261" thumb="900"]

Laetia Posted 21 Jan 2017 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 26

[postimage id="6262" thumb="900"]

catlharper Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 4:09am
post #9 of 26

Wonderful cakes!! Such clean work! My oven FINALLY got fixed so I can bake tomorrow night for the cake due on Thursday! WHEW! 

Today was lovely. I started out the day stopping to photograph the HUGE storm waves we have going on in Monterey right now and as I pulled up a rainbow, a FULL rainbow, broke out over Monterey Bay so I got super lucky to photograph that too! A coworker and I volunteered to work today so that 3 of our other coworkers could march. Because of our local marches and the rainy weather we were really slow so we basically just hung out all day! Not a bad way to pass the time.  If you want to see the photograph then go over to ShutterbugTraveler on Facebook!

Cat

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 4:10am
post #10 of 26

Ok, here is/was my Fri night project. I was unable to pot before now because I spent Saturday sitting at Girl Scout cookie booths with different girls in my troop whose moms were working today, so they would not miss out on selling, and I just got up to get a drink and thought I should get this in before going back to bed (It's 11 pm eastern).

My mom's community has an annual event where they celebrate birthdays for the whole year, each month represented by a separate cake. I was asked to represent March, hence the green and shamrocks. It is 3 layers of vanilla cake, substituting Hershey's white choc pudding instead of vanilla pudding. I tasted the trimmings and it was so yummy. Vanilla buttercream, fondant shamrocks made from modifying a 5-petal flower, and Sugar Dress lace dusted with super white luster dust.

This cake took extra hours, because even though there was something off (to me) about the taste of the icing, I completed the cake. Then, after I had the cake completed, I kept thinking I could not bring myself to deliver this cake, so I made an entirely new batch of icing, un-decorated the cake, scraped off all the original buttercream, separated the layers and scraped those off, and started all over again. This pic is the second time around, identical in every way to the first, but with a new batch of perfectly tasting buttercream.

[postimage id="6264" thumb="900"]

gscout73 Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 4:16am
post #11 of 26

BTW, the cakes shown here are so GREAT!

Hep275, there is no way your client could not have been satisfied with those cakes. They are lovely, and your flowers are beautiful.

Dee0024 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee0024 Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 4:17am
post #12 of 26

[postimage id="6265" thumb="900"]

Laetia Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 1:32pm
post #13 of 26

@gscout73 ‍ I feel your pain having to scrape down your cake and redo it. Love the lace on your cake, very beautiful.

@Dee0024 ‍ I love the white and pink chocolate chard on your cake. 

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 4:08pm
post #14 of 26

@Ginja ‍ looking forward to seeing your toilet cake.

@hep275 ‍ your cakes are beautiful! Your customers must have been so happy with them! Sorry to hear you under quoted.

@Laetia ‍ your cakes both turned out great!

@catlharper ‍ glad to hear that your oven is fixed.  Mine once died just as I was pulling my cakes out. Big phew that they were done baking!

@gscout73 ‍ love the green! What patience you have to scrape off all the icing and redo it!

@Dee0024 ‍ I second what Laetia said, love your pink and white chocolate chard :-) 

I'm late to the party this week.  Fri was my birthday so my parents came up and took me out to supper and then and I had to come home and get a cake done for Sat, my first of 2017.  The request was for a TMNT cake for a 5th birthday.  The mom loved one I had made back in 2014 so I made a few small changes to that design and actually liked it better.  The pizza on top is what sold it for her as the birthday party was a pizza party.

My boyfriend got me a new camera for my birthday :-)  so hopefully you'll notice my photos are a better quality from here on out.  I've never had a "fancy" camera before so it's quite exciting.  Next step is to finally make or buy a backdrop....

I got three cakes for my birthday so MAJOR cheat weekend for me as I am following the paleo diet (down 21lbs so far!). My coworkers had a yummy mocha cake for me Fri, then my mom made me a little cake and my dear boyfriend did his best to replicate a cake I fell in love with by the Tattooed Bakers.  He's pretty good considering the only cakes he makes are for my birthday. Pictures will follow as I never have any luck posting text and photos.

kstevens Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 4:32pm
post #15 of 26

So......cake central doesn't seem to want me to upload photos today :-(  I've tried from my tablet and from my laptop but no go. Keeps asking me to verify I'm not a robot then craps out.  Maybe I'll try again later.

kstevens Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 4:39pm
post #16 of 26

[postimage id="6267" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 4:40pm
post #17 of 26

[postimage id="6268" thumb="900"]

gscout73 Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 6:12pm
post #18 of 26

Kstevens, I had the same prob. I come in now and see that my cake is in my gallery 2x.

And your TMNT cake is awesome!!!

Laetia Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 6:34pm
post #19 of 26

@kstevens ‍ First thing first, happy birthday to you! Love your TMNT cake. Turtles are perfect!

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 23 Jan 2017 , 7:23am
post #20 of 26

Great cakes everyone!

I had a busy Saturday getting a geode wedding cake finished, as well as a 40th birthday cake in the shape of an amplifier stack, and holding a wedding cake tasting. By the time the geode wedding cake was delivered in the late afternoon I was very much ready for a sit down and a cuppa!

me_me1 Posted 23 Jan 2017 , 7:23am
post #21 of 26

[postimage id="6276" thumb="900"]

me_me1 Posted 23 Jan 2017 , 7:25am
post #22 of 26

One pic in my cake studio and then one unfortunately blurry pic at the venue with the couple's chosen cake topper included...

[postimage id="6277" thumb="900"]

jmbrow29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmbrow29 Posted 24 Jan 2017 , 4:31am
post #23 of 26

First post on Cake Central!

I made these two 3" cakes for a colleagues birthday. They are white chocolate mud cakes with a coconut buttercream filling. @kstevens ‍ I absolutely love the TNMT cake!

[postimage id="6298" thumb="900"]

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 26 Jan 2017 , 7:36am
post #24 of 26

I only did two this week for a couple friends. I was pretty pleased with how they turned out! 

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 26 Jan 2017 , 7:37am
post #25 of 26

[postimage id="6310" thumb="900"]

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 26 Jan 2017 , 7:40am
post #26 of 26

[postimage id="6311" thumb="900"]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%