Cakes For Friends/family

Business By red10diana Updated 22 Jan 2017 , 1:24am by red10diana

red10diana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
red10diana Posted 21 Jan 2017 , 1:22am
post #1 of 4

I make quite a few cakes for friends and family, although the bulk of my business is outside of that circle.  I don't always run into this problem, but how do you handle this....

Sometimes, friends/family "assume" you'll do the cake for free, without even asking.  When I draw up the invoice and email it to them, it ends up in an awkward conversation.  I do usually give discounts when I make cakes for close friends and family, but how do you handle the assumption that you'll do it for free?

3 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 21 Jan 2017 , 2:16am
post #2 of 4

It is handled with the FIRST words out of your mouth....

Friend/ family member says, "You know Bob's birthday is in two weeks and I want a four tier, Godiva chocolate , ganache covered, four flavor cake..."

Baker/ You, "Oh my! I have to checked my schedule and see if I can fit it in. When can we sit down and discuss the details? My tier cakes start at $XX per serving, but we can trim that down if you really don't want to go that high...."

Friend/ family member says, " But I though you would do it for free...."

Baker/you, "Oh my. I wish I could do that for everyone but the ingredients need to be bought and my time is just not available for free.... I am so sorry. But Walmart and Costco sell cake..."

FIRST WORDS! Not after the whole thing "gets around" and gossiped about. They will get the idea. And the old, "Last day you went to work, did you get paid?"

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 21 Jan 2017 , 2:21am
post #3 of 4

Is this your business and how you make your income?  If so, they should understand that.  Even if it's a second "job", they should still understand that and not begrudge you getting your income that way.  They need to look back on what it cost them to go to a bakery, or what the individual ingredients would cost for them to make a cake themselves, especially decorated, not just iced/frosted, the time involved, and the cost of utilities to do the baking.  It always amazes me that family and close friends think they are supposed to get things for free from other family members/close friends with no thought to how much work you actually put into it.  You might try explaining it to them that it is an income for you to pay for the ingredients/time/utilities used to do the baking for them.  Good luck.  I know dealing with family is sometimes difficult.

red10diana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
red10diana Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 1:24am
post #4 of 4

Thank you both!  I'm terrible at confrontation and speaking up for myself sometimes.  These are both really valid points and extremely helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%